Status set to Modified after pressing No to reloading file

English main discussion
  • Author

Status set to Modified after pressing No to reloading file

Post by danf84 »

AkelPad version I am currently using: 4.9.3 (x64)
When you work on a file that's been modified elsewhere - you get a prompt as soon as the AkelPad window receives (re-receives) focus. You're asked if to reload - and if I click no, the status bar says that the file is Modified.

The modified status of the current file in the buffer did not use to change e.g. in version 4.7.7 (x86).

The reason I don't believe it should change is that if you actually have saved the file and you're told that the file is modified and if you want to reload, pressing "No", if there is no "Modified" in the status bar, then you know that whatever has modified your file has done so on an updated version. Just a small peace of mind.

Also I believe I've reported this before: if AkelPad detects that the file has been modified externally, it should ask the user if to reload, BUT WARN THEM that reloading WILL LOSE THEIR CHANGES in the buffer (*if* the file has also been modified in the buffer, that is).

Am I making a fuss or is this reasonable? I believe it is a reasonable request.
Last edited by danf84 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

AkelHistory-Eng.txt wrote:AkelPad 4.8.8 (Apr 12, 2014)
----------------------------
Changed: after answer "No" to the question of reopening the modified file, document marked as changed.

Post by danf84 »

Thanks BUT:

You've not answered my last point: if the file has been modified within AkelPad but not saved, and then something external modifies the file, and then when AkelPad asks whether to reload the file or not, the question to the user should be one of these two:

<===========>
1)

Code: Select all

"C:\Test.txt" has been modified outside.

Do you want to reopen it?

[YES, NO]
2)

Code: Select all

"C:\Test.txt" has been modified outside. In-memory changes to this file have been detected as well. Reloading the file from disk will overwrite these changes. Reload?

[YES, NO]
<===========>

Something along those lines. Do you see what I mean?

Also, I disagree with the change
Changed: after answer "No" to the question of reopening the modified file, document marked as changed.
- the user needs to know if they have modified files in 2 places. Reloading the file can lose any possible changes they've made in the buffer - if you set the status to Modified, the user DOESN'T KNOW THAT.

Implementing the correct dialog box/message box as explained above will go towards solving/mitigate the issue.