Feature request: Column Editing

English main discussion
  • Author

Feature request: Column Editing

Post by wickyd »

Hi there

Akelpad is a great Notepad replacement. Thank you for your continued development of it.

I have a feature request for Akelpad. The feature that I am missing is column edit.

It is the same as column select, but in edit mode, you can select many line at once and start typing and the words you type will appear on each line that has been highlighted.

Is there a way to make Akelpad do this?

Thank you.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

wickyd
On this subject was written here:
viewtopic.php?t=917

Post by wickyd »

KDJ wrote:wickyd
On this subject was written here:
viewtopic.php?t=917
Dear KDJ

Thank you, but that discussion doesn't show the exact feature. It shows things that are similar.

The problem with all those ways, is that it assumes that there is text already written that needs to be replaced.

In my personal use of the feature, each line of text that I am working with is different, and I am adding text to each line. So columnpaste etc. doesn't work.

Can I assume that column edit will not be added to Akelpad, where I can select a zero-sized column and just start typing, and it will add text to each line?

Thank you.

Post by cnnnc »

wickyd wrote:In my personal use of the feature, each line of text that I am working with is different, and I am adding text to each line. So columnpaste etc. doesn't work.

Can I assume that column edit will not be added to Akelpad, where I can select a zero-sized column and just start typing, and it will add text to each line?
You can try scripts InsertTextLN.js or InsertText.js by KDJ, or NumberCount.js by cnnnc :)

Post by wickyd »

cnnnc wrote: You can try scripts InsertTextLN.js or InsertText.js by KDJ, or NumberCount.js by cnnnc :)
That sounds like it could work!

How do I install and activate InsertText.js and use a shortcut to run the script on the selected text?

Thank you.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

wickyd
Instead InsertText.js script, I recommend InsertTextLN.js. It has more features.

You should save the text of script in a file named InsertTextLN.js.
Put the file in the directory ...\AkelPad\AkelFiles\Plugs\Scripts\.
Using Hotkeys plugin, you can assign shortcut keys to the following commands:
Call("Scripts::Main", 1, "InsertTextLN.js", "0")
Call("Scripts::Main", 1, "InsertTextLN.js", "1")
Call("Scripts::Main", 1, "InsertTextLN.js", "2")

For simple insertion of text in the columnar selection, you can use ColumnsReplace.js.
The list of all scripts to AkelPad is here:
viewtopic.php?t=240&start=0