Plugins and Translation

Discuss and announce AkelPad language modules
  • Author

Plugins and Translation

Post by MaxPaul »

Unlike AkelPad main program, plugins dll language is always english.
Do you plan to add language support?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Currently plugins are supported russian and english. One can recompile them to support some language and english. There is problem to hold ansi strings in different code pages.

Post by pvagner »

Hello,
There is a possibility to include various language definitions within one resource file. Such language definition also include codepage information. Would it be possible to do the plugins translation this way and then based off of the AkelPad language load the appropriate language resource if it exists?
I have looked into some plugins and it seems you are manually setting dialog text so russian support is kind of hacked in.

Edit: Ah I figured out there is no real way of forcing windows to load a specific language resource other than setting thread locale. Under windows 95 this is going to be a pain.
Anyway I'd like to get some of the plugins translated. How have you managed to add those russian strings? Most of the plugins have Codepage set to 1252 and you was able to add russian text. Can you help please?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

It is hard to support the language that I don't know - only Russian and English will be supported - there too many plugins. One can add his native language by changing GetLangString function. Strings are saved as hex sequence obtained by HexSel plugin.

Post by pvagner »

Yes I see but the strings are different hex sequences while in ansi and different when in unicode. Let's assume I have translated all the strings, they are in the akelpad current document which is UTF-8 encoded. What do I do next so I can properly copy and paste these into the GesString function?
Once I'll manage that can you officially include my changes or the only option is to distribute the plugins my-self?
Edit: Ok I have managed to create an slovak version. At this time it works for unicode only and ansi text falls back to english. If I can manage ansi support I am anyway unable to test it so I am really not sure on how to proceed. Still I'd be happy to post these translated plugins somewhere.

Post by pvagner »

Hello,
Sorry for the double posting. I have finally managed to replicate your way of doing things and now I have got english, russian and slovak translations built into some plugins. I think when such a plugin is used in ansi enviromment it will only work correctly on coresponding system e.g. russian translation will only work under russian system etc. So if the language strings are added by the right person runing appropriate version of windows we can hardcode more translations. I have tested my builds under windows XP and under windows 98 and it's all working fine there.
What's your position on this? Or have you some other plans for the future?