AkelPad Documentation

English main discussion
  • Author

Post by keith »

Yes, the sentence I have a problem with is "However, in true Microsoft® fashion, information regarding these calls can be obscure and not straightforward." - Plugin CHM:Plugins:Scripts:Notes and resources

The Windows API has been well documented and since many of the calls have been around for over 10 years it is relatively easy to find examples of most of them.

Please do not take from my post that I an unhappy with the work that has gone into the manual. I realize that it has taken many hours of volunteer work and I really appreciate it. It really did assist with me getting the full value of your product.

Post by FeyFre »

The Windows API has been well documented and since many of the calls have been around for over 10 years it is relatively easy to find examples of most of them.
Say it to those who see that documentation for first time(there are a lot of such people here on forum).
By the way, if WINAPI documented so well, why did Microsoft closed sources of all utilities when it consumed WinInternals corporation? I can say: because those utilities are using non-documented and highly obscured WINAPI features.(Or probably you know where to get those sources? Millions programmer will say personal "Thank" you.)

Post by keith »

FeyFre are you kidding me? I find the MSDN documentation to be some of the best most organized documentation available. Name me any other operating system that has documented their software as well as Microsoft. It should also be pointed out that the source code from 3rd party tools hardly represents documentation. If these millions of programmers of yours cannot figure out the MSDN documents how do you expect them to understand complicated source code.

BTW - I have much of the source code from the Winternals site, which program do you need?

Post by FeyFre »

FeyFre are you kidding me? I find the MSDN documentation to be some of the best most organized documentation available. Name me any other operating system that has documented their software as well as Microsoft. It should also be pointed out that the source code from 3rd party tools hardly represents documentation. If these millions of programmers of yours cannot figure out the MSDN documents how do you expect them to understand complicated source code.
Yes, MSDN was very good documentation. As for now, MSDN become
In *nix systems there are a tons of manpages.
man socket
man printf
man etc
+for open source projects have sources, which is helpful itself.
BTW - I have much of the source code from the Winternals site, which program do you need?
I am interested only in recent versions, non pre-2006. For example, RAMMAP. Procmon, Procexp(and their embedded drivers)... all utilities in SysinternalsSuit package.

Post by keith »

Well all of the new stuff is being written by Microsoft or I should Mark who is now an employee of Microsoft. You are correct that as I far as I know that source code has not been released.

Post by infimum »

This is a stickied thread. Take off-topic talk somewhere else, guys.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Surveyor
Have you any thoughts about updating User Manual? More than one year passed. I have temprorary (?) removed link from download page.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Surveyor
Please also update Plugins Manual. It's a pity, that such a beautiful manual longer than two years is not updated.

Manual rework

Post by Surveyor »

Thanks guy, for the interest. I have indeed thought often of reworking the Plugins Manual; I actually started to re-organize "some time ago". Right now, my life (though I am retired!) is actually quite busy, with grandchildren (1 now and 1 on the way), health issues (mine and my daughter's), and just life in general. I have also committed a large block of time to a project for my son (a help file for a commercial Cancer monitoring project).

If ever I can say "I have more time now!" then AkelPad is still on my radar. I use it EVERY DAY for something, and would like to keep up with documentation. But it progresses (at least the plugins) faster than I can find time!

Do not give up hope - one day I will indeed get back to it, I just can't tell you when.

Instructor - I understand why you may want to disconnect the link, since the file doesn't really represent the current state of AkelPad plugins.

- Surveyor

P.S. to Instructor
I used AkelPad yesterday (and again for the next few days) to edit some text extracted from a PDF (scanned - OCR) file. I would have REALLY appreciated some kind of wildcard in the search and replace. I was removing phone numbers, with known stuff before and after and realized that wildcards (for the phone numbers) would have saved time. Any thoughts?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Surveyor
Advanced grandfather :) Link that was commented out is to User Manual. I understand that Plugins Manual it is quite a different amount of work, so it was not mentioned.

P.S.
Latest versions of program supports reqular expressions internally (before that regexp used with SearchReplace.js script). So you can search string like: "123.*890" (it is regexp analog for "123*890").

No link to Help file

Post by Surveyor »

New users to AkelPad may come to download page from many different Internet locations - there is now no link to Help file.

Yes, Help file is out of date, but is it then better to provide NO help? It is a shame to think that all my work cannot be found, except through the forums. I hope to update the manual in the future...

- Surveyor

User Manual updated

Post by Surveyor »

To all,

The compiled HTML (.chm) User Manual has been updated to AkelPad v4.7.7. See first post in this thread for link (re-activated).

- Surveyor

Post by VladSh »

Your documentation has always done well! Thanks!

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Already read! :) Some notes was sended to an email.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Surveyor
Good job!