language modulation

Discuss and announce AkelPad language modules
  • Author

language modulation

Post by Sam_Zen »

Since the main translation thread is locked, I place this here:
I would like to work on a translation in my native language. But I have some tech uncertainties here.
I loaded the *.rc file into AP, and noticed a lot of ampersand characters in the file concerning the strings inside the "".
Sometimes as a leading character, sometimes in the middle of some string.
Sometimes logical, like '&File', but sometimes not, like 'Insert c&haracter'
How do I have to deal with it ? Keep implementing it, or ignore it, or what ?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

For example, "&File" - this is the main menu item. Try to press Alt key and then release. You will see "File" - this means that is you press "F" key the file pulldown menu will be open.

Post by Sam_Zen »

I understand that. So in my case this would mean a conversion into "&Bestand".
But how about "c&haracter" for example. Should I edit this in my case as "k&arakter" ?
There must be some syntax about this.

Post by pvagner »

While translating you can define your own accelerators. It does not match english in all the cases. If you can translate character as karakter you can put an & sign before a letter which you'd like to turn into an accelerator key. E.G. I was inspired by the other windows applications e.g. wordpad, notepad and all that common stuff where similar items can be seen.
I have even gone too far that I have added such a shortcuts to the settings dialog and to the various other controls where there are no underlined letters in the english version.

Post by Sam_Zen »

Ah, thanks, so it has to do with assigned shortcuts.
Still I don't understand quite well what's the link between the "i"' of 'Ctrl+I' and the position of the ampersand in 'Insert character'.
Is this what you mean with "It does not match english in all the cases." ?

Anyway, I can already start working now step by step with a renamed clone of the original file.

Post by pvagner »

Sam_Zen wrote:Still I don't understand quite well what's the link between the "i"' of 'Ctrl+I' and the position of the ampersand in 'Insert character'.
There is no connection. Ctrl+i is the shortcut key from the accelerators table. This can't be modified while translating user interface.
& sign is put in front of I so when that menu is displayed you don't need to use your mouse or press arrows to highlight the item you can just press i and the item will be activated. If you don't care about keyboard access you should even discard all such &.