PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry

English main discussion
  • Author

PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry

Post by CBruce »

PortableApps platform wraps AkelPad... tracks file and registry... and cleans up those things when AkelPad exits... ... ... except the plugin entries in the registry.

So, I'm wondering who rights the plugin registry settings... is it AkelPad or the plugins themselves. I'm sort of thinking it's the plugins, but I'd like to know for sure so that I can tell PortableApps folks what to look for.

Thanks,
CBruce

DV

Re: PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry

Post by DV »

I always wondered why PortableApps created their version of AkelPad at all, as AkelPad from the beginning is able save its settings either in Registry or inside an .ini file: Options -> Settings... -> Registry -> INI file.
Another thing is AkelPad always saves file history in Registry, as well as QSearch does by default with its search history (there is a parameter 'history_save' in QSearch that can be manually modified to save its history to .ini file). But I don't think the file history alone is worth a completely different version of AkelPad created by PortableApps, with its sandboxing overhead.

Post by FeyFre »

Plugins are not restricted to API of AkelPad itself and can access any external API provided by environment, i.e. CAN access registry directly not consulting AP. But, in case of settings plugins DO use AkelPad API to retrieve and store configuration.

However, if "PortableApps" fails to track it you should consider to report bug on its support channel.

Post by FeyFre »

DV
It is unlikely PortableApps does any sandboxing. It just observes state of 'known locations' before application start, and does housekeeping after application termination (judging this message by CBruce).

Solutions like VMWare ThinApp do real sandboxing - that kind of sandboxing users keep requesting here (prevent every trace of running application). PortableApps does not more than AkelPad deos itself - Portability.