Custom file type extensions for Save/Save as (?)

English main discussion
  • Author

Custom file type extensions for Save/Save as (?)

Post by c-sanchez »

How I can define file tipe extesions to Save / Save As... options?

I want add something like:
C++ source file (*.c, *.h)
JavaScript file (*.js)
etc

Post by btriffles »

I don't know if this will work or if there is a better method, but you could try editing the string table in AkelPad.exe using a resource editor like Resource Hacker. There is an entry that corresponds to the current file filters that could possibly be edited to add your desired file type filters.
Change:
"Text files (*.txt)|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*"
to something like:
"Text files (*.txt)|*.txt|C++ source file (*.c, *.h)|*.c;*.h|JavaScript file (*.js)|*.js|All files (*.*)|*.*"

Post by c-sanchez »

haha! nice, thanks btriffles, it works.
Although I think it would be some way to make this without modify AkelPad exe. But is a fun and effective solution hehe.

Post by btriffles »

Yes, it would be nice if things like keyboard shortcuts and file filters could be modified inside the program (or at least from the registry or configuration file).

I had to modify the .exe to set the shortcut key for redo to CTRL+Y since AkelPad violates Microsoft's guidelines for keyboard UI design, which should be used for all Windows applications.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

btriffles wrote:I had to modify the .exe to set the shortcut key for redo to CTRL+Y ...
You can use Hotkeys plugin instead.

Post by c-sanchez »

Instructor wrote:
btriffles wrote:I had to modify the .exe to set the shortcut key for redo to CTRL+Y ...
Nothing to setup the files extension menu from open/save dialogs?
By now just modifying the exe?

Post by btriffles »

Instructor wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know that the Hotkeys plugin could override existing hotkeys.
Still it would be nice if AkelPad could use CTRL+Y for redo by default. It is very surprising when a standard Windows shortcut key is replaced by a destructive action! I'm also trying to minimize my plugin usage.

Regardless, thanks for your help and the great software.