Can't find how to reopen code explorer window

English main discussion
  • Author

Can't find how to reopen code explorer window

Post by Rob Crutchfield »

Hi,

I'm fairly new to AkelPad. I opened the Scripts plugin, selected a .js file, and clicked Edit. The file opened, and to the right of it a narrow window opened which appeared to be a folding outline of code structure. (Not sure there's a standard term, but in PSPad, for example, it's called the Code Explorer window.) At the top of that window's frame was a small triangular icon which I assumed was a button to minimize the window. But when I clicked the icon, the window disappeared completely. I've looked through the interface and documentation, and can't find any mention of that window; I closed everything and re-opened it the same way, but now the code explorer window doesn't appear. How can I get it back? Thanks for any help.

Using version 4.9.6 (x64) with Windows 7.

EDIT: Opened a separate installation and got the code structure window in the same way. At the top I noticed the text "Coder::CodeFold." This time the little triangle icon was next to a normal x for closing the window. The triangle actually points down, suggesting a menu rather than a minimize function. But again, when I clicked the triangle, the Coder::CodeFold window vanished, and I can't get it to come back.

DV

Re: Can't find how to reopen code explorer window

Post by DV »

I remember myself also having this problem :)
Actually I thought it has been solved already by ability to assign a different action to the key you have pressed - but looks like it has not been done so.
Anyway, here is what you need to do:
1) Press Alt+P or select Options -> Plug-ins from the main menu
2) Double-click "Coder::Settings"
3) Go to the "CodeFold 1" tab
4) Press "Auto" in the "Show list" section

Thanks, DV, that worked!

By the way, the other installation (in PortableApps), where I saw an x as well as the triangle icon, had an older version of the Coder plugin installed. When I clicked the x, I lost the Coder window and could NOT get it back through the Coder settings. In fact even when I updated the Coder plugin, I still couldn't get the window back; I had to uninstall and re-install AkelPad. (That was a big hassle, all plugins had to be individually activated before I even had menus for Plugins, Favourites, or Window. Even now I don't know which plugins provide those menus; I just activated most of the plugins and then deactivated the ones I knew I didn't want. Is there documentation for these things?)

DV

Post by DV »

The document here covers some of plugins' functionality:
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/forum/vi ... .php?t=353
It is somewhat outdated, though, - but anyway it's the best volunteered documentation we have.
In general, you should read the text files under "AkelPad\AkelFiles\Docs" folder to have an idea of what a particular plugin does.
In particular, ContextMenu::Main is responsible for the main menu and the context menus. Double-clicking "ContextMenu::Main" allows to configure the menus; and checking it (thus auto-loading) applies the configured menus on AkelPad start.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ha! Now I know where the Sort function is, too!

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Rob Crutchfield

Thanks! I guess I'm just accustomed to finding everything on menus; I'll have to study the toolbar and see what else is on there.