Issue: LinesFilter.js - Extreme high RAM and CPU

English main discussion
  • Author

Issue: LinesFilter.js - Extreme high RAM and CPU

Post by maki »

LinesFilter.js -
5,2 GB RAM
25% CPU

How much time is needed to complete operation?

Screen:

Post by Skif_off »

maki
You forgot to specify the conditions :)

Post by maki »

0. AkelPad 4.9 x64
1. Open text 500 MB
2. I added regex (String contain) (10000+ chars)
3. Enable Regular Expression
4. Include Lines

Is the program will be permanently suspended??? How long do I wait for the end of progess/operation???

Why are not any logs AkelPad - this diagnose problems Resulting from suspend application AkelPad? How to run in debug mode?

For comparison, I have used other "powerful tool editor" - you can see the progress of the action and not suspend...

Post by maki »

AkelPad probably uses one core, it shows 25% cpu (100% cpu- 1 core) and not see progress
No progress counter action.
Missing percentage of progress.
developers should improve it, unless one really does not feel like improvement applications.

Perhaps AkelPad belongs to the middle-tool, and does not belong to a high-class of powerful tool .

Post by Drugmix »

maki

I mean no offense, but I've read some of your messages on this forum and to me it seems like you don't understand something about AkelPad project, so I'd like just to make some things clear:

1. there are no "developers": AkelPad is being developed by a single person.
2. AkelPad is a free and open source project, so you may contribute to the project by providing patches, if you are able to program.
3. If you are not familiar with programming - you may nicely report a bug or request a feature and hope it will be fixed/added, if the developer agrees with your proposed change and is willing to code it.
But he also may not do so, because:
a. it's a free project and the developer doesn't owe users anything at all and we, users, are not in position to demand anything: we may only ask nicely [or whine, but this usually doesn't help].
b. there are way more requests than just yours, and since the project has only one developer (with the limited amount of time and other resources) - he decides what requests to reject and what to postpone due to their low priority.
The priority is totally set by him, based on his [free time/interest in adding a feature/urgency of a bug/users demand/whatever else].

If you need a "high-class of powerful tool" - I don't think any free open source project with only 1 developer will ever suit your needs: high-class software usually gets developed by bunch of developers, testers, QA engineers, etc. and it usually is a closed source software that is also rarely free for use.

We, users, have the following good options:
- switch to another text editor that suits you more;
- contribute to the project by providing patches;
- nicely ask the developer to add what you want and hope he once adds it.

The bad options, such as:
- blaming the developer for the quality of his software or that it doesn't do what you want;
- telling the developer what he should do or what he should not;
- cursing software for it's bugs;
- threaten others to stop using this software;
are ridiculous and won't change things.

Post by maki »

hehe:lol: , I'm saying clearly and explicitly that plugins or options freeze and I'm not able to identify the cause of the app hang.

:shock:

application that uses with 5 GB of RAM - compared to other 500% more use of memory and suspend.

App bug/Memory Leak?

and 25% CPU (that is, the power of the processor is still the same %)

Post by Skif_off »

You want too much from script :) Script ate all it could and hung.

Post by Drugmix »

maki wrote:plugins or options freeze and I'm not able to identify the cause of the app hang.
You didn't describe how you tried to identify the cause.
Try a less complex regexp and simplify it more and more until the issue is gone, to find 2 very close regexps: one working fine and the other (which should be only slightly more complex) with the bug hanging AkelPad.

If there's an issue in AkelPad's regexp parser (which is possible and happened times before) - we need to find out what exactly causes the hang.
It's hard to analyze long and complex rules, so when a problem occurs - users simplify their problematic rule as much as possible (yet they should still demonstrate the app hang).

Post by FeyFre »

Drugmix
There is no bug. Maybe TC does not understand basics of JavaScript(JavaScript cannot be parallelized, and it has very very large memory footprint) and Regular Expressions(RegExp'a are very complex algorithms, and for expression consisting of 10000 characters there will be generated Finite State Machine of 10000 nodes).

Post by maki »

AkelPad tested ONLY 500 MB file and 700 regular expressions - hangs.
Use - 5 GB RAM
CPU - 25%
Too many for an application AkelPad? Oh, I'm sorry ! :D

Ok, and what to say to extreme tests for a different editor? :lol:

I used "stronger tools": I increased to an even larger value processing.
- 5000 regular expressions (!)
- open 1.3 GB File text (!)

25,000,000+ lines (!)

900 MB of memory usage and program to process every 10000 lines, then several seconds of CPU power increase and low, the next 10,000 lines and next 10000 lines ... and next 10000 lines ... progresS WORK ! and nothing hangs
(Visible progress - work !)
processing power - is increased for a moment, it is not constant as in the case AkelPad app.

Post by opk44 »

maki
If you already have the better tool, then, "Keep Calm and Carry On"!

Post by Drugmix »

FeyFre
you can't know.

maki
so you chose to ignore the given advice? Well, then your messages are of no value [neither to us, nor to the developer, nor to yourself].
Then don't get mad when you'll get totally ignored.

Post by maki »

Drugmix - Thanks for your support, even if it is in the simplest form.
even if you ignore my threads / posts.

AkelPad is a good editor for the "simple things"
There is no needs too much from the text editor.
Before I started this topic I asked a few people an forums and other professional support.
For my needs will be the best example. PowerGREP (Search thousands of files on disk with regular expressions)

For editing or opening files with a ton of line, to remove repetitions in line with the huge text files - the best will EmEditor.

Post by Drugmix »

maki
now you are at least being potentially helpful to people looking for a tool for heavy works with PCRE search/edit and for works with heavy files.
I'm glad you found what you've been looking for and shared it with others.
You just can't code a combine that will be good at everything: it will either be slow somewhere, or not be as functional, as some users would request. This is in the nature of the code.