Comparison of memory usage (free editors)

English main discussion
  • Author

Post by maki »

I opened the same large text file (1,08 GB) (PLEASE NOTE: more than 1000000000+ characters)

Akelpad x64...4246648 K (~ 4GB)

Notepad2-mod x64 ...2359588 K (~ 2GB)

GNU Emacs x64 1133364 K ( ~1GB RAM)

EditPad 7 Lite x64 ...549920 K ( ~ 500 MB)

Post by Lenchik »

Plain Akelpad with no plugins?
What was encoding of file (may be it matters)?

Post by maki »

AkelPad (without plugins, the default installation)
UTF-8
Win7 64-bit

AkelPad - uses the highest RAM :evil: , other FREE editors 64-bit low uses RAM :lol:

Do not believe it? I can prove it - TeamViewer session

Post by Lenchik »

Why not believe it? It was already mentioned by you and author (Instructor) replied: viewtopic.php?p=25711#p25711

Post by maki »

I said that AkelPad uses more memory compared to all other editors, other editors even use 8x less RAM

AkelPad - is very slow (when open a large file)
I do not know why others praise that is a fast editor, if it is not true

Post by Skif_off »

maki
Unfortunately my English is bad, but:
I've been looking for, where is written "AkelPad is easy to open very-very large files!". But I failed.
When you open file, AkelPad will convert text to UTF-16 LE and opens file fully:
UTF-16 LE produce a sequence of 16-bit code units. Each unit thus takes two 8-bit bytes
And if you use UTF-8 only with numbers 0-9, the letters English alphabet, some basic punctuation symbols and control codes, then UTF-8=ANSI (it's a 8-bit character encoding).

Post by maki »

I'm using UTF-8

Large file? How many text contains characters?

1000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?
10,000,000?
50,000,000?
1000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000?

Check[TEST!!!!!!!!!!!] everything and let me know if it works :)
Show me how much screen uses RAM - anyone not believe someone say "works for me fine"

Post by Skif_off »

maki wrote:Large file? How many text contains characters?
It's depends on your memory size (free only), read my post again. And is large file support planned?

For example, with log-file ~200 MB AkelPad x86 work faster than Notepad++ (search/replace/sorting and other (scrolling too!)). If you always use large files > 1 GB with UTF-16 LE, you may use other editors.

Post by maki »

I wrote in a previous post MANY times - I use UTF-8 !!!

I do not know why I always writing about UTF-16 LE ???

------------
Test:
Open 200 MB UTF-8(file contains a lot of text) AkelPad x86 - ERROR:Out Of Memory
------------
I do not use Notepad++ overrated which colors the syntax and does not open files 100-500 MB (This is a big file - not open ... BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA BLA)
Information from the internet Notepad++ (32-bit) can open files up to MAX 2GB ?? Ha ha, ha, ha ...greater nonsense I have not heard: D

AkelPad 64-bit - suspended or when I'm find for some text or something trying to replace.
I understand - I have to buy and install 32 MB of RAM in your computer and AkelPad x64 program will rapidly accelerate like a rocket :lol:

Notepad2 - trying open 2+GB = Empty

UltraEdit - Sorry. 30-day trial license has expired. Please buy the program and enter the code.
How do I start saving money on dry bread with lard and onions. Purchase a program that can open large files and anything else he can not :)

I have to exchange other editors and which fulfill a function.
I'm starting up and it seems to be really cool.

:twisted:

Please note that your text file of 200 MB will not be the same as my 200 MB.
Why? Think about it (!) :idea: :)

Not only High RAM (!)

When I try to select the text (or scroll) is the CPU power increases and slows down the application performance

-----------------------------
For example. I have Windows 7 64-bit
8 GB or 10 GB of RAM Physical
AkelPad x64 - how MAXIMUM SIZE text file UTF-8 can open? ? ? ?
Please tell me, I'll check it because I like to test.

Post by Skif_off »

maki wrote:I wrote in a previous post MANY times - I use UTF-8 !!!
I do not know why I always writing about UTF-16 LE ??
And I wrote:
when you open file, AkelPad will convert text to UTF-16 LE in memory and keeps everything IN MEMORY.
BUT text in UTF-16 LE takes up more space than text in UTF-8 or ANSI! :) So it always takes more memory than others.
maki wrote:AkelPad x64 - how MAXIMUM SIZE text file UTF-8 can open? ? ? ?
You can check it yourself and find out the maximum for your hardware.
I think - 1.0-1.2 GB only with US-ASCII symbols (0-127).

Post by maki »

Looking editor that will open a text file of 110 GB.
Do you know the name editor/tool?

Post by opk44 »

maki
The only one editor I know is EmEditor (handle files up to 248 GB).
But its free version doesn't support that feature.
So I think if you strongly disagree to pay some money, you have to use some kind of split-edit-combine method.

Post by Skif_off »

opk44
А консольные утилиты типа линуксового sed умеют работать с большими файлами? Или тоже необходимо сразу передать файл целиком?
Кажется, видел скрипт, где вывод утилиты передавался sed построчно.

Post by maki »

EmEditor

$39,99 USD :cry:
There has never been and will never be a free alternative. You have to pay for the technology.
Program creators could think of advertising add pro version and thus earn (without payment for the program)

----------------
EmEditor uses temporary files when it opens a file larger than 300 MB. You can check and edit this size in the Advanced tab of the Customize dialog box. If you open a file larger than this size, a few highlighting features are disabled, including multiple-line comments. Wrapping modes are also disabled for optimal speed. If you are opening a file larger than this size, make sure there is enough disk space in the temporary file folder. The default temporary folder is the system temporary folder, specified by the %TEMP% environment variable. You can override the temporary folder to any folder you would like, that has enough space available.

EmEditor’s multithreaded design allows you to view documents during the opening of a large file. A status window appears during most time-consuming activities such as text editing, saving, searching, replacing, inserting and deleting, which allows you to monitor and cancel those activities at any time.

Post by maki »

File split into smaller parts has defect!

split file = split text (Full text - lose)

110 GB
100 MB X 1100 files!! (Part) - too much (This is a bad idea)
I do not have enough space disk and time to split huge files

If I will want to find specific name in a text file, I'll have in the worst case, open all file in 1100 to find a name search. Really bad idea. :shock: