4.8.5 configuration file "Akelpad.ini"

English main discussion
  • Author

4.8.5 configuration file "Akelpad.ini"

Post by gilles06 »

AkelPad 4.8.5 (x86) installed in Windows 7 Home Premium Edition v6.1 n.7601 SP1.

From the AkelPad menu Options->Setting->Registry, I changed the option to save settings in "INI file" and clicked "OK", but I got the following error message:
[b]Cannot open file "C:\Program Files\AkelPad\AkelPad.ini".[/b]

As the INI file does not exist, I created an empty text file named "AkelPad.ini" in that location, but unfortunatey the problem is still persisting.
Why ?

DV

Re: 4.8.5 configuration file "Akelpad.ini"

Post by DV »

Because of UAC.
Either give full access to this folder to current system user - or create another folder for AkelPad, say "C:\MyPrograms\Akelpad", that will be under full control of current user.

Post by Drugmix »

He's not the first with that problem. And I still think, that it's not okay, that a program can not properly handle such a small problem.
All the other programs save their personal settings to the appdata folder.
I understand that it's way more comfortable to store everything (and especially when the subject is such tiny config files) in one place, but AkelPad should test it's permissions upon execution and if it lacks the permission to write to program files - it should either
a. hide that option completely and always use only registry
b. use AppData folder for .ini file in that case
c. prompt the user where he wants to store that file to (and there also describe the lacking permissions problem).

AkelPad with UAC of Windows 7

Post by gilles06 »

Much thanks for your kind and clever answers.
Well, I have tried successfully, but it works curiously.

I have simply created the empty file:
C:\Program Files\AkelPad\AkelPad.ini

Then I have right-clicked the file and selected Properties->Security.
Natively, the system and administrators have full control of the file, but users (i.e. all users) have only read and run authorization.

Unfortunately the administrator cannot modify AkelPad options in the INI file: the error message appears.

When I give full control to users (i.e. all users) then any user can modify AkelPad options in the INI file. The authorization is too large.

When I modify the authorization for users back to only read and run, then the new configuration is fully protected against all modifications by any user, even by the administrator.

So it is !

DV

Re: AkelPad with UAC of Windows 7

Post by DV »

gilles06,
I'm currently under Windows 7 with UAC turned on.
To avoid the kind of problems you mentioned, I've created a folder "C:\Progs" with ALL permissions given to Administrators and Users. (Just "Special permissions" are unchecked because I even don't know what is this.)
I do not have any problems with any program that modifies its ini files under that folder.

answer to DV

Post by gilles06 »

Thanks DV for your answer.

You can keep AkelPad in the standard folder "C:\Program Files\AkelPad\" and allow full control to users for the file "AkelPad.ini", you will have no problem at all.
I have kept AkelPad in the standard folder.

I have no problem , as I am alone working on the computer.

But if several persons are working on the same computer, every user is allowed to modify the configuration of AkelPad, so a user may get trouble because of the changes done by an other user.
It is what I meant.