Regular expression find not finding 08h in [\x00-\x09]

English main discussion
  • Author

Regular expression find not finding 08h in [\x00-\x09]

Post by rd83667 »

Searching for a Notepad replacement led me to AkelPad 4.7.9.

Seeing that it has regular expressions, I tried one from a current project.

The range [\x00-\x09] didn't find a 08h in the text, while a standalone \x08 did.

Why?

Post by rd83667 »

Also, other testing finds that while the $ anchor works for the end of line, I can't get the ^ anchor to work for the beginning of the line.

Post by Surveyor »

rd83667 - Welcome to the forums; glad you have tried AkelPad!

Regular expressions have some standardization, but unfortunately, are often (at leart partially) implementation specific. Since you are new to the forum and AkelPad, you may not yet have discovered the User's Manual (i.e. Documentation) - I have an appendix on regular expressions, as implemented in AkelPad. Have a look there, re: your issue and I will have a look at it later also.

I am in love with AkelPad and its features and use it every day, although I don't consider myself a power user. You may also note that the (sometimes heavy) activity on the forum - especially for the Scripts plugin - indicates an active project.

- Surveyor (author of the manual, not the application)

Post by rd83667 »

It was reading that manual, which I downloaded with the executable, that led me to try the regular expressions.

My testing found that AkelPad did not behave as the manual said it should, for expressions that I have used in another text editor and grep.

DV

Post by DV »

rd83667,
seems you have found a bug that needs to be fixed.
Regular expressions were presented in AkelPad just few minor versions ago (officially in 4.7.4), so currently there can be some issues with their implementation. Anyway, regular expressions are much better in currently developed AkelPad 4.8.0 which latest developer's snapshot can be found at http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/files/AkelPad.zip
Additionally you can report to the "Bug reports" topic which is monitored by Instructor (the developer) regularly.

Post by rd83667 »

Yes, version 4.8.0 successfully did the two examples I tried.

Post by FeyFre »

> I can't get the ^ anchor to work for the beginning of the line.
Yes, it is known bug of 4.7.9