Unicode - Please Help

English main discussion
  • Author

Unicode - Please Help

Post by smaragdus »

Hi there,

AkelPad is my default text editor, I have the latest version (4.7.4) installed on my system (XP SP3) but I have problems with opening and saving text documents containing Unicode characters (in my case- French, Portuguese and Spanish characters). I downloaded and read the English user manual (AkelPad4-Eng.chm), tried different 'Codepage recognition' and "Default codepage' settings, but all was in vain- I could neither open properly text documents created and saved by Notepad++ with UTF-8 encoding, nor save texts containing Unicode characters. I am sure I am missing something but I do not know what. Can anybody give me a tip how to open and save Unicode texts with AkelPad and and how to make UTF-8 the default encoding?

Thanks in advance.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

smaragdus
After opening a file, in the status bar displays the code page.
What is displayed?

Post by smaragdus »

KDJ, thank you for your response. For some reason I was not notified about your reply.

I will provide screen-shots below:

Image - AkelPad

Image - Notepad++

I have tried many different Codepage recognition settings but to no avail.

Can you tell me what Codepage I should use in order to render Unicode characters correctly?

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

smaragdus
Submit a fragment of this text in your post.
I will check how it looks at me.

Post by Infocatcher »

smaragdus
I think, you should check font settings – font in Notepad++ looks like "Courier New", try use this font in AkelPad.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Yes, it may be inappropriate font set in AkelPad.
Because the code page was recognized correctly (UTF-8).

Thank you very much!

Post by smaragdus »

KDJ & Infocatcher:

Thank you so much! The problem is solved.

AkelPad's default font was 'System', which had only Cyrillic script.

I changed the font to 'Lingoes Unicode' and everything seems to be fine now, all kinds of characters (both Cyrillic and Western) are rendered properly.

I did not suspect that this problem had to do anything with the fonts, please excuse me for my ignorance.

Thank you guys, without your help I wouldn't have found what actually caused the problem so now I won't need to switch to another note pad.

All the best and regards from Bulgaria.