Help to development

English main discussion
  • Author

A little help, please

Post by javawiz »

Hi everyone,
I’m kind of new to the open source community thing and would like some help on how to participate. I’m mainly a java programmer that’s worked for a couple of IT firms. I would like a little help on how I can use my skills to benefit the community.
Thanks

Post by Fr0sT »

javawiz
you may take part in expanding AkelPad's functionality by writing scripts (here's the current list of them).

Post by FeyFre »

javawiz
There are a couple ways to help us:
1. Use AkelPad. i.e. find bugs, misbehaves, undocumented features.

2. Generate ideas. You can report them into here(eng) or here(rus), but try not to duplicate already implemented or suggested.

3. The same touches plugins: any ideas will be appreciated.

beware, most of suggestion will be implemented if and only if implementer have free time to do it(and good mood too), so if you need suggested functionality in short terms, it is better you implement/develop/debug it yourself, and then optionally share them with AkelPad/Plugin author in order to merge into trunk. AkelPad and most of plugins written on C, one or two on C++, and there is possibility to write on Delphi(dummy plugins can be downloaded) As you see C/C++/Delphi are compilable languages, which have ability of interaction with native(WIN32) Windows environment without overheads, so you can use any similar language(including assembler). Scripting and interpreting languages(java, python, perl, php, lua etc) are no so useful here because of low performance and low platform integration and have tendency to be of relatively huge sizes.

4. You can create and share addition content for AkelPad and its plugins i.e. scripts for Scripts plugin, colour and language schemes for Coder plugin, document templates for Template plugin or whitelists for SpellCheck plugin, etc.

Fr0sT, javawiz is Java programmer not JavaScript. They are as much different as sky and ground.

Post by infimum »

Stop replying to spam.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

infimum
Now I understand why thread has such name :)

Post by Fr0sT »

javawiz is Java programmer not JavaScript. They are as much different as sky and ground
I know. But syntaxes are similar, and for Java programmer it should be easy to learn JS.

Well, the thread could be spam but its subject is quite useful for newbie enthusiasts. I think the list "What you can do for AP development" should be posted and pinned somewhere in the forum.

Post by FeyFre »

I know. But syntaxes are similar, and for Java programmer it should be easy to learn JS.
similarity only because of identical control structures, compound statements "{ }" and function definition style all taken from C/C++. But runtime is really different. Really. And that why Java experience absolutely useless in JavaScript(and so C/C++ experience useless also).

Post by infimum »

Use personal massages. Don't increase the reply number.

Site Admin

Help to development

Post by Instructor »

Changed thread ID and name. Cause I have already receive spam to email :)