A bug and a few requests

English main discussion
  • Author

A bug and a few requests

Post by Bret »

I think I found a bug in AkelPad 4.4.9. After using the keyboard to perform a menu command, the next key pressed does not go to the document. For example, instead of using Ctrl+S to save an existing document, choose it from the File menu by pressing Alt+F, S. Then type a character and it will not appear at the cursor. Or if you press Delete after saving that way, a character is deleted but the next character typed will not appear.

This also might be classified as a bug. Several menus are no longer accessible with the standard keyboard shortcuts (indicated by the underlined letter).
View: Alt+V is now Columnar Paste
Window: Alt+W is now Reopen file as ANSI (Windows)
Would it be possible to restore the standard shortcuts and assign new alternative ones, like Ctrl+Alt+V and Alt+A respectively, to those functions?

I've also been building a list of feature requests or possible improvements as I use AkelPad more and more.

When pressing F3 (Find Next), could a little "Not found" message box appear when no matches are found, similar to doing a search with the Find dialog?

The Esc key is currently assigned to Exit. Could there be an option to disable that? As a former 'vi' user, I have a tendency to press Esc and accidentally close all saved files or exit if they have all been saved.
Edit: I see there is a separate Exit plugin to implement this small change if not using the bigger Hotkeys plugin.

Could a Close command be added to the File menu so the typical Alt+F, C sequence closes a file? It took a while to realize that files and windows were essentially interchangeable.

When indenting a block of text, would it be possible to not indent blank lines within the block?

When selecting several lines of text, it looks like there is a space at the end of the lines when there really is not. Would it be possible to not highlight beyond the end of the actual text during selection?

Finally, could repeated undo actions be grouped together? For example, if I press delete multiple times to delete some text, undo treats each keypress as a separate action.

Thanks for writing and improving AkelPad. Keep up the good work!
Bret
Last edited by Bret on Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by FeyFre »

I think I found a bug in AkelPad 4.4.9. After using the keyboard to perform a menu command, the next key pressed does not go to the document. For example, instead of using Ctrl+S to save an existing document, choose it from the File menu by pressing Alt+F, S. Then type a character and it will not appear at the cursor. Or if you press Delete after saving that way, a character is deleted but the next character typed will not appear.
Confirmed. Are you using any plugins?
This also might be classified as a bug. Several menus are no longer accessible with the standard keyboard shortcuts (indicated by the underlined letter).
View: Alt+V is now Columnar Paste
Window: Alt+W is now Reopen file as ANSI (Windows)
Would it be possible to restore the standard shortcuts and assign new alternative ones, like Ctrl+Alt+V and Alt+A respectively, to those functions?
The Esc key is currently assigned to Exit. Could there be an option to disable that? As a former 'vi' user, I have a tendency to press Esc and accidentally close all saved files or exit if they have all been saved.
HotKey plugin will help you :)
When selecting several lines of text, it looks like there is a space at the end of the lines when there really is not. Would it be possible to not highlight beyond the end of the actual text during selection?
My old wish. :) Goto Settings -> Editor1 -> Text Margin and set right/left value to zero.
When indenting a block of text, would it be possible to not indent blank lines within the block?
It can be achieved using Scripts plugin.

Post by Bret »

FeyFre wrote:Confirmed. Are you using any plugins?
No, I am not using any plugins, especially if they are the first to be blamed for bugs. However, if that's the only way to get a little more functionality, I will have to look into the plugins mentioned. Thanks.
My old wish. :) Goto Settings -> Editor1 -> Text Margin and set right/left value to zero.
I had already set my left and right text margins to zero. The right margin is just the gap between where text appears and the scrollbar, not between the end of the last character on a line and where the selection highlighting ends.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Bret wrote:After using the keyboard to perform a menu command, the next key pressed does not go to the document.
Fixed.
This also might be classified as a bug.
It is not a bug. You can assign "Command(-1)" for Alt+V and Alt+W in HotKeys plugin, to turn off acceletators for those hotkeys.
When pressing F3 (Find Next), could a little "Not found" message box appear when no matches are found, similar to doing a search with the Find dialog?
With the development version it is possible to assign F3 to following script:

FindNextDown.js

Code: Select all

var hMainWnd=AkelPad.GetMainWnd();

if (AkelPad.SendMessage(hMainWnd, 273 /*WM_COMMAND*/, 4159 /*IDM_EDIT_FINDNEXTDOWN*/, 0) == -1)
  AkelPad.MessageBox(hMainWnd, "Search finished", "AkelPad", 0x40 /*MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION*/);
And Shift+F3 to:

FindNextUp.js

if (AkelPad.SendMessage(hMainWnd, 273 /*WM_COMMAND*/, 4160 /*IDM_EDIT_FINDNEXTUP*/, 0) == -1)
  AkelPad.MessageBox(hMainWnd, "Search finished", "AkelPad", 0x40 /*MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION*/);
The Esc key is currently assigned to Exit.
Exit plugin as you founded or assign "Command(0)" to Escape key in Hotkeys plugin.
Could a Close command be added to the File menu so the typical Alt+F, C sequence closes a file? It took a while to realize that files and windows were essentially interchangeable.
Use ContextMenu plugin to add item in file menu with "Command(4324)" instruction.
Use the next script code:

AkelPad.SendMessage(hMainWnd, 273 /*WM_COMMAND*/, 4164 /*IDM_EDIT_INSERT_TAB*/, 0);
AkelPad.SendMessage(hMainWnd, 273 /*WM_COMMAND*/, 4174 /*IDM_EDIT_DELETE_TRAILING_WHITESPACES*/, 0);
Set PaintOptions to 2. For more info see "Manual settings" in AkelHelp-Eng.htm.
Finally, could repeated undo actions be grouped together? For example, if I press delete multiple times to delete some text, undo treats each keypress as a separate action.
Only typing operations grouped not delete.

Post by Bret »

Instructor
Thank you for locating and fixing the keypress bug. I also appreciate your instructions on how to implement the other modifications to be more Windows-standard. Since I'm a C programmer, I'm considering downloading the source code and compiling my own build so I don't have to use so many plugins and scripts. In the meantime, your recommended solutions will be helpful.

Thanks again, Instructor, for releasing AkelPad as open source as well as updating and supporting it!