AkelPad Documentation

English main discussion
  • Author

AkelPad 4.4.4

Post by Surveyor »

KDJ wrote:Can you do such a beautiful documentation to AkelPad 4.4.4?
As you may (or may not) know, when I update the documentation for the AkelPad User Manual, I test each change or fix so that I may document it "properly". The same is true for updates to the Plugins Manual, although I confess that I am behind in that one. I intend to do the same good work with AkelPad 4.4.4, but this is a MAJOR update and also involves changes to the Plugins Manual (some now integrated with AkelPad) - it could take a while!

I will update the manual.
DONE! July 5, 2010, unofficial link posted on first posting of this thread.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Thanks Surveyor.
Very cool.
I noticed a small mistake - at Appendix B/Unicode, you have not given, that AkelPad supports UTF-32.

UTF-32

Post by Surveyor »

KDJ wrote:AkelPad supports UTF-32
Yes, it is not mentioned (deliberately), since the "support" is broken. See your own thread here
I have made a note in the revision history page (Editor's note - bugs/issues:) - next time...

KDJ

UTF-32

Post by KDJ »

Surveyor
Yes, but it has already been corrected in the test version 4.4.5.
This can be taken into account.
But still, SaveFile plugin does not support UTF-32 without BOM.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Already is AkelPad version 4.4.5.
And SaveFile plugin supports UTF-32.

Post by Lectrichead »

AkelPad is one amazing program, and I was looking forward to checking out the documentation posted in this thread.

It's weird though - I've tried downloading it on both my main computer and my wife's computer. When I unzip the .chm file and click on it it shows the headings in the left pane but "Navigation to the webpage was canceled" in the right pane no matter what I click on.

Any ideas?

Post by FeyFre »

Lectrichead
You probably run it from remote location or network share(HtmlHelp viewer's security model does not allows to work in such cases), or from some kind of temporary storage(e.g. entered into zip using Windows Explorer and run it from there.)
You should copy it to local storage or unpack it manually, not run from unpacker program.

Post by Lectrichead »

FeyFre wrote:Lectrichead
You probably run it from remote location or network share(HtmlHelp viewer's security model does not allows to work in such cases), or from some kind of temporary storage(e.g. entered into zip using Windows Explorer and run it from there.)
You should copy it to local storage or unpack it manually, not run from unpacker program.
Thanks for the info.

I am running it off the desktop on both computers, but I did try it on my laptop and the .chm file worked fine.

I did just now find what seems to be the problem - whenever I ran it Win7 came up with the security message "Do you want to open this file?" I'd just click Open each time.

But once I unselected the box for the Windows security message the file worked fine. It's a great help.

Security with CHM files

Post by Surveyor »

Gentlemen,

Yes, indeed, Windows (on my system, XP SP2) considers CHM suspect. Javascript can be embedded into the HTML files and (I think) for that reason, Windows usually tries to block the content, even though Javascript itself is restricted (for security reasons) in what it can do.

FeyFre is right - you should unzip the file from its "package" rather than try to execute it from your zip handler (eg. 7-Zip, Winzip), particulary if there is a "blocking" issue. Once it is extracted, you should (at least on XP)
  • right-click the file and select properties
  • click the Unblock button, if present (Windows has blocked content)
The file 'should' function fine after unblocking. This is typical behaviour for any (most?) downloaded CHM files.

FYI - Javascript is used in Appendix E (Manual Settings - tools), and frequently for rollover image handling, but is PERFECTLY SAFE. The Appendix E tools write to the registry, but always just the AkelPad variables necessary for the Manual Settings.

Lectrichead - Welcome aboard! There is also a Plugins Manual in the Plugins part of the forum. Sadly, it is incomplete and a bit out of date, but I am in the updating process as we speak.

Cheers!

Post by FeyFre »

Javascript can be embedded into the HTML files
My another 2 cents: any type of file can be embedded into CHM file... so it should clear why windows does not allows to run them from remote/temporary locations.

Re: Security with CHM files

Post by VladSh »

Surveyor wrote:This is typical behaviour for any (most?) downloaded CHM files.
I wanted to ask to make sure that you can just read the information.
Immediately upon entering into each page flies alert security ... I think it should fly when trying to use, ie when you click on the button. Now it is inconvenient and annoying. I do not want to change the settings, I just want to read!

Security alert

Post by Surveyor »

VladSh wrote:Immediately upon entering into each page flies alert security
I assume that you are talking about Appendix E (manual settings), the rest of the pages that use Javascript should not report a security alert.

The Appendix E pages use ActiveX in the Javascript to load an object which can access the registry. This is the trigger to the security alert. Windows (actually Internet Explorer) loads the entire page before rendering completely; this includes the Javascript commands which access the registry and also the Javascript for the tool functions. Unfortunately, it is immediately upon the load that the security alert is triggered. I do not believe that I can make it any other way.

What should happen, though, is that an alert should be visible on the first load of each page - accessing that page later during the session should not trigger an alert. However, if the CHM is closed and re-opened - alert is triggered again. We will just have to live with that behaviour since it is built into Windows security - to defeat it by changing settings would be unadvisable.

Let me know if you are getting any alerts on pages other than in Appendix E...

Re: Security alert

Post by VladSh »

Surveyor wrote:I do not believe that I can make it any other way.
Pity...
Surveyor wrote:What should happen, though, is that an alert should be visible on the first load of each page - accessing that page later during the session should not trigger an alert. However, if the CHM is closed and re-opened - alert is triggered again. We will just have to live with that behaviour since it is built into Windows security - to defeat it by changing settings would be unadvisable.
I suggest not to display on each page of ActiveX object and put it on a single page in the bowels of CHM, and refer to this page (and objects) using the function itself or to treatment was the text, this text would be calculated only when the button is pressed.
Surveyor wrote:Let me know if you are getting any alerts on pages other than in Appendix E...
On other pages of this sort were not observed.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

I use a portable version AklePad.
Program settings are stored in .ini file and not in the registry.
When reading "Appendix E - Manual settings" appears this window:

There is no key in the registry.
Can you somehow fix it?

Post by FeyFre »

Surveyor
Annoying security questions must never be problem for anybody, unless he(she) is full dumb.
But RunTime error in embedded scripts which activates system debugger - that really annoying!

UPD: oops, only now noticed KDJ's post....
Last edited by FeyFre on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.