The features I want in future.

English main discussion
  • Author

The features I want in future.

Post by akyahoo »

Several days ago, my operating system was reinstalled. However, I cannot get back the replace history of AkelPad. It is a pity.

Besides, many files have different contents for me to replace different words. I do not want to list many many words in the replace history for all the contents, because the replace history is too long and it is quite inconvenient.

In Firefox, press "Ctrl+Shift+B" key and then [Import and Backup]->[Export HTML]. The bookmark can be saved with ease. AkelPad should export and import the replace history as XML files as Firefox.

Every day, I have to replace many words and change their cases repeatedly. The macro plug-in is useful, but not quite flexible. It should be saved as different files, so that they can be used for different contents.

I hope that AkelPad can promote the efficiency of my boring and repeated work.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by akyahoo on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by FeyFre »

Several days ago, my operating system was reinstalled. However, I cannot get back the replace history of AkelPad. It is a pity.
You always can export content of key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Akelsoft\AkelPad\Search before OS reinstall process and then import it back to registry on virgin system.
You can make two batch files to do in one-click manner.
SaveAKPSearchReplace.cmd

Code: Select all

@REG EXPORT HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Akelsoft\AkelPad\Search AKP_SearchReplace.reg
LoadAKPSearchReplace.cmd

Code: Select all

@REG IMPORT AKP_SearchReplace.reg
I cannot remember well does AkelPad loads/saves search history on fly or not(Instructor, we need your word here). But it does - with two more similar to LoadAKPSearchReplace.cmd batches you can get rid of long search history(You can put calls of this batches to Toolbar for handy work)
Last edited by FeyFre on Sun May 23, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by akyahoo »

Thank you, FeyFre. 8) 8)

The replace history should also add numbers for each words, and the order can be changed. As a result, I can select them faster.

Post by ravenlaughs »

I would prefer that AkelPad not keep such data in the registry at all. It makes things difficult for me when I have to assume another identity on my own computer to get things done. A tuly portable program would maintain all in an INI file.

Post by FeyFre »

ravenlaughs
1. As far as I know AkelPad were never declared as truly portable application. It were declared only as NotePad replacement.

2. Portable applications MUST save their state in machine specific storage(in windows it is HKCU registry key, and %USERPROFILE% path), and not allowed transfer it across system(if user wants, he must do it manually), because such data potentially not applicable on different systems. For instance, .NET assembly cache(result of work of ngen utility) is not portable, because it highly tied with system hardware(CPU, GPU, etc); VMWare ThinApp virtualizator will fall in some conditions if you try to give him cache from other machine.
Portable applications must not have any additional steps before first run in hostile environment(read on system where they were not installed, just copied to), and so should have dedicated, easy portable place to store configuration. AkelPad have it - AkelPad.ini

Post by Fr0sT »

FeyFre portable app is an app which doesn't leave ANY trace in the system.

Post by FeyFre »

Fr0sT :lol: :lol: :lol:
FeyFre portable app is an app which doesn't leave ANY trace in the system.
Are you sure? Let see an example:
I have special device with own drivers install in system.
I have Application which intended to work with this device. This application cannot work if device is not installed/configured in system.
This application does not creates any temporary files, does not writes to registry, does not emits entries in system log.
Does this application portable? I think it is not. And you?

Build in NotePad, Calculator, SndRec32, Minesweeper etc. are portable app, although they alter file system and registry during work and do nor revert it to former state.

PS: What purpose of application and what its benefits that does not interact with OS resources?

Post by infimum »

FreyFre
This might help you understand what "portable" commonly means.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/faq.php

Post by FeyFre »

infimum
Why I should even look into this untrusted site? This is not authoritative and not trusted source of information for me.
Imagine: I'm software developer, you are software consumer. Guess who among us will decide what is "portable application"?

Post by infimum »

FeyFre
What/Who do you consider is "authoritative" and a "trusted source"?

Look, my response wasn't about what you "trust" and what you don't. Other people in this topic are talking about "portable." I just provided a link that I though was helpful for you to understand what THEY think is "portable." There is no need for you to "trust" it. But at the same time, if you refuse to understand (which is different from "trust") what they are talking about, your involvement in topic won't be very helpful to them.

Post by FeyFre »

What/Who do you consider is "authoritative" and a "trusted source"?
Different kinds of technical documentation:
1. Adopted standards such as IETF, W3C, LSB, RFC, etc, etc, etc.
2. Official API documentation, or discussions which strongly referenced to them: MSDN, man 9 etc.
3. Sources as is, if no other sources of information available.
But at the same time, if you refuse to understand (which is different from "trust") what they are talking about, your involvement in topic won't be very helpful to them.
My involvement will be very helpful to them. If they use terms "portable" but mean something else, that is their problem, not mine.(If they say "turn left" but pointing to the right, that is their problem). If they understood that they used wrong term - my involvement is very helpful. Possible next time, when they ask for feature somewhere else, developer will not refuse because of non-clearance of their requests.

Post by infimum »

So is the following
Portable applications MUST save their state in machine specific storage(in windows it is HKCU registry key, and %USERPROFILE% path), and not allowed transfer it across system(if user wants, he must do it manually), because such data potentially not applicable on different systems. For instance, .NET assembly cache(result of work of ngen utility) is not portable, because it highly tied with system hardware(CPU, GPU, etc); VMWare ThinApp virtualizator will fall in some conditions if you try to give him cache from other machine.
Build in NotePad, Calculator, SndRec32, Minesweeper etc. are portable app, although they alter file system and registry during work and do nor revert it to former state.
documented in the following?
2. Official API documentation, or discussions which strongly referenced to them: MSDN, man 9 etc.
Could you kindly show such document?

Post by FeyFre »

Google will help you. Image

Post by infimum »

Google is none of these.
Why are you even suggesting it?

Post by Fr0sT »

FeyFre
Build in NotePad, Calculator, SndRec32, Minesweeper etc. are portable app, although they alter file system and registry during work and do nor revert it to former state
They are not.
I have Application which intended to work with this device. This application cannot work if device is not installed/configured in system.
It's not an app's problem. If you create a simplest app with form and single button "Print" on it - would you also insist that it's not portable only because it couldn't function without printer installed?
What purpose of application and what its benefits that does not interact with OS resources?
Not "does not interact" but "does not alter". In other words, read-only regarding the OS.