AkelPad 4.3.0 Released

English main discussion
  • Author
Site Admin

AkelPad 4.3.0 Released

Post by Instructor »

Changed: plugin architecture. Update plugins.
Changed: syntax highlighting improved.

Added: internal Alt+NumPad processing.

Fixed: "Replace all".
Fixed: selection by pressing on left mouse button in left margin.
Fixed: out of the text area didn't redraw after computer unlocking.
Fixed: management didn't come back to the user, after message appearance at text dragging in next tab window (MDI).
Fixed: if unsaved character appears on the last line, incorrect line number reported.

<<Download>>
Last edited by Instructor on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by pvagner »

Hello,
What is internal Alt+NumPad processing supposed to do?
Do I understand correctly I should now be able to type ascii codes while having numlock turned off?
This does not seem to work on my laptop. Perhaps on a desktop keyboard it is working fine.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

pvagner wrote:Do I understand correctly I should now be able to type ascii codes while having numlock turned off?
Yes, but NumLock should be turned ON.

Post by pvagner »

If I do remember correctly this has always been working fine. Could you please try to explain the advantages of custom implementation a little bit in more details?
Do you know that in notepad, wordpad and all the other native win32 edit controls you can also type ascii codes while num lock is turned off?
Would it be difficult to extend the functionality to mimic this as well?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Try to insert "♂" character (U+2642) in ms notepad. In 4.3.0 you can insert it by transforming U+2642->9794 (Hex->Dec) and pressing Alt+9794 on NumPad with NumLock on. On RichEdit this will also work.
Do you know that in notepad, wordpad and all the other native win32 edit controls you can also type ascii codes while num lock is turned off?
This is because they don't use Alt key movement, you can press Alt+Down, Alt+Home or Alt+PageUp, they simply ignore it (AkelEdit respond on Alt key - column selection). If NumLock is off NumPad works as controlling instrument. Say if I press "7" with NumLock off it is the same I press "Home" (window procedure receive VK_HOME).

Post by pvagner »

Still I believe you can differentiate which navigations key were pressed (numpad or main) by checking extended flag of a keydown message.
Or are you saying you don't want alt+numpad processsing for typing while numpad is turned off? Are you using numpad keys for movement or are there other people doing this?

Post by FeyFre »

Are you using numpad keys for movement or are there other people doing this?
A lot of peoples does this, especially eldest generations(50years and more)

Post by Surveyor »

Ouch!! That hurt... I'll have you know, I'm over 50 and I have always used that rodent thing!

The numeric pad is often used in programs for navigation; this is more of a Windows convention. I think that Instructor - while he could definitely intercept keys from the numeric pad with NumLock off - has chosen to respect the convention and allow people to use the numeric pad for navigation, if they choose. This "might" also be true for older laptops - the usual navigation keys are often not in the "usual places"; it might actually be easier to use the keypad for some people. Also, AkelPad can use the Alt key to use column selection; it may actually be quicker (at least for some people) to use the Alt key (and Shift key) with the numeric pad (up/down/left/right) to select text, rather than using the mouse. Trapping character generation keys here would definitely interfere with this behavior.

Post by pvagner »

thanks guys for well written comments.
Now I feel I am too selfish. I have never used numpad keys for text selection nor caret navigation. It's why I was eagerly waiting for ability to type using alt+numpad keys even if numlock is turned off.
Please accept my apologies.