Suggestion

English main discussion
  • Author

Suggestion

Post by chadross »

I would like to suggest a new feature. Already it is possible to save settings to an INI file in Akelpad's directory. This works great fro running from a USB drive. Unfortunealty this doesn't store any recent file or search history. These are still saved to the registry, so i have to set them to 0.

I was wondering if it would be possible to implement saving these two feature to INI as when when in INI mode? Perhaps recent files could be stored as relative paths if opened from the same drive as well? And the Recent Files pluging could be updated to work with this?

Thanks for your consideration on this and I would like to thank you for your hard work on this project. Akelpad is part of my daily routine in viewing files, editing scripts and html. I think i'd be lost without it.

Thanks,
Chad

Post by Surveyor »

Chad,

Hooray, another Canuck! Glad to have you aboard!

This issue has already been presented (by me) to Instructor (Aleksander) in the past, I believe, although a search through my "piling system" did not find it - I may have sent him a personal email with this topic addressed. I have mentioned this issue in the User Manual (I trust you have a copy, and a copy of the ongoing Plugins Manual...) in Appendix A - Portability. The manuals are not bundled with the program, but are available in a couple of places - officially at
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/download.php
and
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/plugins.php

The AkelPad editor and related plugins are (IMHO) quite remarkable - Instructor must be a programming guru! Also, I have found (during the course of preparing documentation) quite a bit of insight in various component features; he has thought of things that I would not have expected. There are a few issues yet that come up, but in general, it is quite stable and very adaptable, especially when you start investigating the plugin capability.

However, like any solitary programmer, he must have a life outside of AkelPad. I have been following the forum for a couple of years (in English AND Russion, through Google translate) and have found that some things mentioned to him are fixed immediately, while others are "not on his radar". I understand this as a former DOS programmer. I think that with this issue, he may consider the File and Search history "transient" - not worth keeping - and therefore, has not addressed the problem. Perhaps if you or others can convince him otherwise, it may get changed...

Thanks

Post by chadross »

Surveyor wrote:I think that with this issue, he may consider the File and Search history "transient" - not worth keeping - and therefore, has not addressed the problem. Perhaps if you or others can convince him otherwise, it may get changed...
Being a programmer, I can understand the "transient" standpoint; however, I pretty much work from a USB drive most of the time and as such my documents that i primarily work with are on the same drive as Akelpad. For this reason, if File history were implemented for files on Akelpad's root drive it would make complete sense from a transient perspective.

The only caveat would be that Akelpad would need to do one of two things: 1) be able to store and read relative file paths 2) be able to update drive letters for file paths in the INI based on the last time the application was run.

As far as Search History goes, I don't see this being specific to a computer. Being able to reuse search terms should not be dependent on a document.

Alas, I do understand if I am in the minority and nothing comes of this.

Chad

Site Admin

Re: Thanks

Post by Instructor »

chadross wrote:The only caveat would be that Akelpad would need to do one of two things: 1) be able to store and read relative file paths 2) be able to update drive letters for file paths in the INI based on the last time the application was run.
You can create favorites menu with ContextMenu plugin or use Sessions plugin. In both cases you can assign relative file paths, for example:
1. ContextMenu plugin:

Code: Select all

"MyFile" Exec(`"%a\AkelPad.exe" "..\MyFile.txt"`)
2. Sessions plugin:
Manually edit "{AkelPad}\AkelFiles\Plugs\Sessions\*.session" file after session creation.

Re: Thanks

Post by chadross »

Thank You Instructor, these look like an interesting work around. I will try them out for a while.

Much appreciated.

Chad

Post by Surveyor »

Chad,

Just to "muddy the waters", I thought I would throw this out...

The "Recent files" and "Search/Replace" histories are kept in the registry at

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Akelsoft\AkelPad\Recent
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Akelsoft\AkelPad\Search

I suspect it wouldn't be too difficult to write a couple of little batch files (or cmd files) which would use Regedit to extract those keys to a file, and load the keys into the registry. The REG file could be kept with you on your USB drive. I realize that this might be a pain for multiple computers, but if you are only talking about a few systems, it might work. Of there there are security issues - ie. do you have system permission, etc. - but not considering security, this would allow you to keep your recent files and history settings as non-zero.

Also, the ToolBar plugin allows multiple toolbars. If you are talking about 20 favourite (note Canadian spelling - GO CANUCKS!) files or less, you could easily create a toolbar for just those files. Of course, this doesn't address the search history issue...

Post by cnnnc »

I think http://portableapps.com/ can achieve that.

PortableApps.com

Post by chadross »

Surveyor: Thanks for the suggestion

cnnnc: I was hoping to not have to create a Launcher, i find with most of the PA.com apps that I use that the load time is sacrificed for the portability, and i like the fact that Akelpad loads instantly...

Instructor: The creation of sessions with realative paths has reduce some of the need for recent files, as i'm typically working on "projects"

Thanks,
Chad