AP won't replace notepad

English main discussion
  • Author

AP won't replace notepad

Post by Curt@dk »

I am getting frustrated because I miss my AkelPad but it won't replace notepad on this 'new' Vista (32-bits) of mine. During the installation Notepad will pop up and say (in Danish) that it cannot find the path, (even though it is correct), and I have to click OK. If I later on double-click a text file, notepad will open the file.

I have a notepad.exe in both \Windows and in \system32, maybe this is part of the problem? Should I somehow delete one of them?

I don't have UAC activated.

Post by ravenlaughs »

In XP there is also a sneaky backup place -- C:\Windows\System32\dllcache -- that I have had to get into before I can replace Solitaire with my personalized hacked deck after changing it a second time. Windows sticks a backup there whenever a file is replaced. Maybe Vista is hiding one in there. Can't say for sure, I have XP and only see Vista on rare visits. I haven't pulled any good tricks on Vista (yet).

AkelPad is my default text editor, of course, but I don't bother to replace the file any more. I've gone soft, I let Notepad live.

Post by Sam_Zen »

Never mind of Notepad or where it is. If you assign the proper associations like *.txt, *.ini, *html, etc to AP, it will open them.
But I dunno about Vista hassles..