I can't read the AkelPad Documentation?

English main discussion
  • Author

I can't read the AkelPad Documentation?

Post by Thormix »

After reading the AkelPad Support forums and attempting to use the AkelPad Documentation file = AkelPad-Eng.chm, I can't seem to use it.

Can anyone explain to me how to read this .chm file type.
The .chm file type defaults to "HTML Help Compiled Help File" which is automatically opened in my Windows XP Help Dialogue.

After opening this file type, it is unable to connect with the online manual site and I get the error "The address is not valid" for every topic in the help file.

Is there a version of the manual the doesn't require my computer to be online to use (ie Offline version)?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Personally I don't have any problems with offline AkelPad-Eng.chm opening. Maybe chm can't access a temp directory.

Post by ravenlaughs »

The Help file is for offline use. All of the important information is contained in the file, there are not very many outside links in it. The problem is more likely your system settings. Check the Security tab of the chm file's Properties dialog, see if you have a Block/Unblock button like the one illustrated here.

--------------------------

I had some trouble posting this. After logging in I couldn't get here. I kept getting this message:
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
I had to switch to a different browser (Internet Explorer, ACK!) and log in again. Very odd. Then I tried to post, and I got the same thing. Trying again with Firefox.

I am not having any other problems with the forum... so far... today... *sigh* I like PHPBB less and less.

Edited to add: Back to my default browser (K-Meleon) and I find that I still can't get in from the forum index by clicking on the thread title, but I got it by clicking the "go to new post" icon.

Since there is no place to post about forum problems, I am sticking all this on at the end LOL

Blame Windows!

Post by Surveyor »

Gentlemen,

Ahhh, the wonder of Windows!......

It seems that - depending on which version of Windows you use (98/ME/XP, etc.) - Windows may attempt to block viewing a CHM file directly from the Internet, for security reasons. It is to protect you from malware, etc. which may be embedded in the file.

Also, downloading the file to your system (right-click, save...) causes Windows to actually alter how it handles links in the file (I checked!) and then prevent most (all?) pages from displaying. After posting a file myself to my own site, I was unable to read it after downloading it. Thanks Windows, for protecting me from myself!

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;896358
for a discussion of this situation, but don't bother trying their fixes - too complicated.

FIX - I have now posted all CHM files to my site in zipped format. It seems that when you unzip the file on your own machine, Windows
  • considers the file to be a local/safe file, and
  • does not alter the contents of the file!
See here
http://members.shaw.ca/atbcls/akelpad/index.html
for the most recent copies of the help manuals. Instructor should post all new documentation with a few days to the AkelPad site and file repository (http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/files/).

- Surveyor