[SOLVED]Akelpad 4.xx bug?

English main discussion
  • Author

[SOLVED]Akelpad 4.xx bug?

Post by CheeseCake »

I just find that Akelpad 4.xx opens files much slower than 3.xx, the situation is worse when Word Wrap function is enabled.

When opening a large text file, Akelpad 4.xx will show a loading progress indicator at status bar. The larger file, the longer time and program looks like frozen. When resizing the window (with Wrap enabled), I have to wait for it again which makes it unusable.

Environment: Windows Server 2003 English, system locale Chinese Simplified, default Akelpad settings (after deleting HKCU\Software\Akelsoft).

It is OK when using Akelpad 3.xx.
Last edited by CheeseCake on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Instructor wrote:
cnnnc wrote:Speed of open file is slower than 3.5.6.
The text file in GB2312, filesize > 3MB.
It is important to make speed tests with caret at the end of file (open file first time, set caret to the end of file, exit and open file again). "Remember caret position" should be turned on.
AkelPad 3.x can "loads" the file faster, but actually it load only some part of text and other part is loaded in background (only when word wrap mode is off). You can make sure in this by setting the caret at the end of a file and reopen it.

Post by CheeseCake »

Thanks for reply. Just did the test.

With word wrap OFF, the speed in Akelpad 4.xx is acceptable, though 3.xx is still leading.
With word wrap ON, Akelpad 3.xx loaded the file quick. Akelpad 4.xx had to wait for the loading indicator. Same situation when resizing window.

So is there any possibility to "partially" load file in Akelpad 4.xx especially when word wrap is ON just like it did in 3.xx?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I don't know how you test it, but on my system loading the 50Mb with caret at the end of file:

With word wrap OFF:
AkelPad 4.0.6 - 3,922
AkelPad 3.6.1 - 13,641

With word wrap ON:
AkelPad 4.0.6 - 12,672
AkelPad 3.6.1 - 17,484

Post by CheeseCake »

I did put the caret at the end of file.

What's the codepage of your test file?
When opening a unicode file or file in western language (eg. English), both are OK for me, but when the target file is in GB2312, things are different when wrap is ON.

Mine is a 750KB text file in Simplified Chinese. I uploaded it to http://www.box.net/shared/rjq9n248xs

To reproduce,
System: Windows Server 2003 or XP or Vista
System Locale: Simplified Chinese
Akelpad Setting: Default (Delete HKCU\Software\Akelsoft) with Wrap ON/OFF (Codepage 936)

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

CheeseCake wrote:What's the codepage of your test file?
1251 or UTF-16LE result the same.
Mine is a 750KB text file in Simplified Chinese.
On "Arial Unicode MS" font it opens as it should - fast. Did you try different fonts?

Post by CheeseCake »

Thanks for the reply. After selecting Arial Unicode MS, problem solved though it is not a default installed font.

Here is a list for your reference.
Target file in GB2312, Akelpad 4.xx

Font: Arial Uni MS, Wrap ON Fast, Wrap OFF Fast
Font: Non Unicode, Wrap ON Slow, Wrap Off Fast
Target file in GB2312, Akelpad 3.xx

Font: Arial Uni MS, Wrap ON Fast, Wrap OFF Fast
Font: Non Unicode, Wrap ON Fast, Wrap Off Fast
The only problem now is that Akelpad 3.xx can open the test file fast whatever font used, 4.xx cannot.

Regards.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

See 4.0.8 release.

Post by CheeseCake »

Thanks for your effect, working like a charm now. :D