AkelPad Forum Index AkelPad
Support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBruce

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry Reply with quote

PortableApps platform wraps AkelPad... tracks file and registry... and cleans up those things when AkelPad exits... ... ... except the plugin entries in the registry.

So, I'm wondering who rights the plugin registry settings... is it AkelPad or the plugins themselves. I'm sort of thinking it's the plugins, but I'd like to know for sure so that I can tell PortableApps folks what to look for.

Thanks,
CBruce
DV

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: PortableApps AkelPad + plugins + registry Reply with quote

I always wondered why PortableApps created their version of AkelPad at all, as AkelPad from the beginning is able save its settings either in Registry or inside an .ini file: Options -> Settings... -> Registry -> INI file.
Another thing is AkelPad always saves file history in Registry, as well as QSearch does by default with its search history (there is a parameter 'history_save' in QSearch that can be manually modified to save its history to .ini file). But I don't think the file history alone is worth a completely different version of AkelPad created by PortableApps, with its sandboxing overhead.
FeyFre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugins are not restricted to API of AkelPad itself and can access any external API provided by environment, i.e. CAN access registry directly not consulting AP. But, in case of settings plugins DO use AkelPad API to retrieve and store configuration.

However, if "PortableApps" fails to track it you should consider to report bug on its support channel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FeyFre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DV
It is unlikely PortableApps does any sandboxing. It just observes state of 'known locations' before application start, and does housekeeping after application termination (judging this message by CBruce).

Solutions like VMWare ThinApp do real sandboxing - that kind of sandboxing users keep requesting here (prevent every trace of running application). PortableApps does not more than AkelPad deos itself - Portability.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AkelPad Forum Index -> Discussion (English) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: