AkelPad Forum Index AkelPad
Support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

language modulation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: language modulation Reply with quote

Since the main translation thread is locked, I place this here:
I would like to work on a translation in my native language. But I have some tech uncertainties here.
I loaded the *.rc file into AP, and noticed a lot of ampersand characters in the file concerning the strings inside the "".
Sometimes as a leading character, sometimes in the middle of some string.
Sometimes logical, like '&File', but sometimes not, like 'Insert c&haracter'
How do I have to deal with it ? Keep implementing it, or ignore it, or what ?
Instructor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, "&File" - this is the main menu item. Try to press Alt key and then release. You will see "File" - this means that is you press "F" key the file pulldown menu will be open.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that. So in my case this would mean a conversion into "&Bestand".
But how about "c&haracter" for example. Should I edit this in my case as "k&arakter" ?
There must be some syntax about this.
pvagner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While translating you can define your own accelerators. It does not match english in all the cases. If you can translate character as karakter you can put an & sign before a letter which you'd like to turn into an accelerator key. E.G. I was inspired by the other windows applications e.g. wordpad, notepad and all that common stuff where similar items can be seen.
I have even gone too far that I have added such a shortcuts to the settings dialog and to the various other controls where there are no underlined letters in the english version.
Sam_Zen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks, so it has to do with assigned shortcuts.
Still I don't understand quite well what's the link between the "i"' of 'Ctrl+I' and the position of the ampersand in 'Insert character'.
Is this what you mean with "It does not match english in all the cases." ?

Anyway, I can already start working now step by step with a renamed clone of the original file.
pvagner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam_Zen wrote:
Still I don't understand quite well what's the link between the "i"' of 'Ctrl+I' and the position of the ampersand in 'Insert character'.

There is no connection. Ctrl+i is the shortcut key from the accelerators table. This can't be modified while translating user interface.
& sign is put in front of I so when that menu is displayed you don't need to use your mouse or press arrows to highlight the item you can just press i and the item will be activated. If you don't care about keyboard access you should even discard all such &.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AkelPad Forum Index -> Language modules All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: