Question about CTRL+Right navigation in text window

English main discussion
  • Author

Question about CTRL+Right navigation in text window

Post by k_kolev1985 »

Hello, Akelpad developers,

I'm Kostadin Kolev from Bulgaria.
First, let me say, that Akelpad is one of the most easiest, lightweight and accessible text editors around! I said "accessible" not occasionally. I'm a visually impaired PC user and due to that I'm using screen reading software to help my self while using the PC. At the moment I use JAWS for Windows and the open-source NVDA screen readers and both work very good with AkelPad.
And now to my questions: I've noticed that in the text window of AkelPad when pressing CTRL+Right to navigate to next word, the cursor doesn't go to the beginning of the next word. Instead, it goes to the end of the same word. This is not very good for us - visually impaired users - because the screen readers (at least JAWS and NVDA) use CTRL+Left/Right to go (and read) the previous/next word in text fields. And since the command is not working correctly in AkelPad, the screen readers can't read the next word in AkelPad's text window. Note that only the CTRL+Right command (next word) is not working as it should - the CTRL+Left (previous word) is working normally - the cursor goes at the beginning of the previous word and the screen readers read the word as it should happen. I've noticed that when I disable the option "Words delimiters:", the CTRL+Right command starts working almost correctly. But why doesn't work correctly when the option "Words delimiters:" is enabled?
And some kind of feature request: It's related to my first question. Can you make it possible that while pressing CTRL+Left/Right to go to previous/next word, the cursor will stop not only on words, but also to punctuation signs (e.g.: dash, comma, period, left and right bracket/parenthesis, colon etc)?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Best wishes!

Post by pvagner »

Hello,
Just a note that NVDA respect akelpad's settings and can properly handle such a navigation by word. Yes is different from what the other applications do but I have respected that as an AkelPad authors decision. Let's see how it turns out after this request. Of course consistence with other windows edit components would be nice from my point of view also.

Post by k_kolev1985 »

pvagner wrote:Hello,
Just a note that NVDA respect akelpad's settings and can properly handle such a navigation by word. Yes is different from what the other applications do but I have respected that as an AkelPad authors decision. Let's see how it turns out after this request. Of course consistence with other windows edit components would be nice from my point of view also.
Hello,

Yes, you are right about NBDA respecting akelpad's settings - I haven't tested it recently with AkelPad 4.0. And when I did it now, it worked good. But this still is an issue for JAWS for Windows :(. But even NVDA doesn't stop on (before) punctuation signs, and that would be very useful while editing files.

Post by pvagner »

k_kolev1985 wrote:But even NVDA doesn't stop on (before) punctuation signs, and that would be very useful while editing files.
I think I don't understand properly.
If I open empty AkelPad window and type something like:
hello, this is a test. and this is another.
Using ctrl+right from the begining cursor stops at the position where comma, space or dot is. You can configure your own world delimiters at the advanced 1 tab in the akelpad's options.
To sum it up. While navigating to next word AkelPad jumps to the first word delimiter. While navigating to the previous word AkelPad jumps to the first character after a previous world delimiter.
While word delimiters are disabled, akelpad works like other edit controls jumping to the begining of a next or previous word.

Post by k_kolev1985 »

Yes, I didn't actually tested that very good - my fault.
But ... there are still some issues about that kind of navigation. I want to be able to stop before the punctuation sign and when I press CTRL+Right to be able to go to the word after the sign and to the word after that. Hope you understand what i mean.
And for example, in Notepad2 when you press CTRL+Left/Right, you move to (before) every punctuation sign and every word. For example, in the following text (in bulgarian - I don't have another example at the moment):
Директор 1-ва и 2-ра год.:
the cursor will move as follows when we press CTRL+Right (same happens in reverse - CTRL+Left):
1. First we start with the word "Директор";
2. Then the cursor will go to "1";
3. Then to "-";
4. Then to "ва";
5. Then to "и";
6. Then to "2";
7. Then to the second "-";
8. Then to "ра";
9. Then to "год";
10. And finally to ".:".

Hope that I was a little bit clearer now :-).

Post by pvagner »

Ok thanks for the explanation Now I do understand. I think this is not possible with the current implementation. It is however possible to navigate to begining of a previous or next word when word delimiters are turned off as I have already said and when the space is excluded from the list of word delimiters it is possible to stop at all the other delimiters.
I think white spaces should be skipped in all the cases (like it behaves while word delimiters are disabled) and we might also be able to define other delimiters.
@instructor can you recognize this as a feature request?

Post by k_kolev1985 »

OK. Witch is the sign for "space" in the "Words delimiters" edit field? I now have the following elements in that list:

Code: Select all

\t\n\\|[](){}<>,.;:+-=~!@#$%^&*/?'`"
Can you tell me so I can remove it from the list?
Thanks

Post by pvagner »

you can try removing the first character of this string that's a space.
You will then get AkelPad stopping at each punctuation sign but it will not stop after a space it's why I am waiting for instructor's comment.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

I will think about this.

Post by k_kolev1985 »

Instructor wrote:I will think about this.
OK, Thank you very much!

Best wishes!

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

See 4.0.2 version.

Post by k_kolev1985 »

Instructor wrote:See 4.0.2 version.
Yes, I've installed v4.02 and when the "Words delimiters" is turned off, the navigation works as it should (for me) :-).
Thank you very much! :-)