Can't restore Notepad?

English main discussion
  • Author

Can't restore Notepad?

Post by divergirl »

Okay, I'm a complete idiot and this is entirely my fault, but I didn't realize AkelPad is not supported under (64-bit) Windows 8.1 and I installed it, selecting the option to replace Windows Notepad. But now when I click on Notepad, it prompts me to locate the file AkelPad.exe, instead of actually OPENING AkelPad.exe.

I tried uninstalling AkelPad through Add/Remove Programs, since it said that when uninstalled, AkelPad would restore Notepad, but it didn't work. When I click on Notepad it still prompts me to locate AkelPad.exe.

What can I do? Is there any way I can get regular old Notepad back and make sure all traces of AkelPad are propely removed? :cry:

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

divergirl
- If you install not latest version, then try to install and uninstall 4.8.7.
- You can also restore "notepad.exe" manually: search in WINDOWS directory for "notepad_AkelUndo.exe" and rename to "notepad.exe".

Post by divergirl »

@Instructor:
Yes, I did download (and uninstall) the latest version. 8)

Well, I was able to delete notepad.exe and rename notepad AkelUndo.exe to notepad.exe, but when I went to open a text file, it still prompted me to locate AkelPad.exe. I instead located notepad.exe and clicked on it, and since then NotePad has been opening properly, but I'm wondering if that meant AkelPad left some traces behind, either in the registry or with leftover folders. What could I do to make sure it got completely cleaned up?

Thank you for all the help!!!

Post by sierra »

@divegirl
I had similar problem. I solved it by copying notepad.exe from \Windows to \Windows\System32.

Whole instead-notepad-integration thing haven't worked for me either, but I solved it quite nicely with symlink, I normally installed AkelPad, then made backup of notepad.exe in \Windows folder and with

Code: Select all

mklink notepad.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\AkelPad\AkelPad.exe"
made the link in \Windows.