Notepad replacement installation

English main discussion
  • Author

Post by Textor »

Hi!
I installed Akelpad as a notepad replacement. Now, when I click on Accessories>Notepad, Windows Explorer opens up. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. In the windows folder the notepad.exe opens akelpad. In the sysWOW64 folder the notepad.exe opens akelpad. But in the system32 folder, there's two files for notepad, one is a notepad.exe with a little lock on the icon and when I click on it, Windows Explorer opens up. The other one is notepad_AkelUndo.exe. When I clck on it, AkelPad opens up. The shortcut in Accessories points to the system32\notepad.exe file, so it opens up Windows Explorer. Can I fix this? Did the program install properly?
I tried to uninstall to see if it would put things back to the way they were. The windows folder had an original notepad.exe and so did the sysWOW64, but the system32 folder still had the same two files in it and the accessories shortcut still opens up Windows Explorer. What's going wrong?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Textor
Do you install 4.7.7? If yes - try to uninstall program then delete notepad_AkelUndo.exe files and install program again.

Post by Textor »

Yeah, I've got 4.7.7 installed. I uninstalled, then deleted notepad_akelUndo.exe and reinstalled the program. No change. Any ideas on how I can put this back to normal. (Notepad as default)

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Textor wrote:Any ideas on how I can put this back to normal. (Notepad as default)
Uninstall AkelPad. Then run command:

Code: Select all

SFC /SCANNOW

Post by Textor »

Hi, Instructor:
Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled akelpad, or at least I thought I uninstalled it, but it's still there. In the meantime, I ran a scannow on my system. I now have a notepad program in the Windows folder, a notepad program in the syswow64 folder, but in the system32 folder I have the notepad.exe file with the akelpad green icon next to it, and the notepad_AkelUndo.exe is there also. There's no option in my uninstall programs to uninstall Akelpad. What do I do now?

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Textor
Just replace with original notepad.exe in the following places and remove all notepad_AkelUndo.exe files.
%WINDIR%\notepad.exe
%WINDIR%\System32\notepad.exe
%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\notepad.exe

Uninstaller should do it for you, strange that you have problems there.

Post by Textor »

Hi!
Thanks for all the help. I've got everything in the windows folder back to normal again. But there's one thing I'm concerned about. I want to keep using Akelpad, I just don't want it installed as a notepad replacement. The thing is, Akelpad is still installed on my system and works just fine. After I had thought I had uninstalled the notepad replacement installation, I reinstalled it as a standalone application. There's a folder in program files and Akelpad is installed there. But there's no uninstall entry in uninstall programs. I'm afraid that there's something wrong with that installation and I want to uninstall the present version of akelpad and reinstall it again, just to be on the safe side. What can I do?