Treat certain characters as full words

English main discussion
  • Author

Treat certain characters as full words

Post by qoshinator »

When double click selecting, some characters should be treated as full words, such as newline (\n), quotations ("), and comma (,). After all, when trying to select to the end of the line, it's unpleasant to have parts of the next line in your selection.

You can test out the problems of the current behavior by having two lines, the second with tabs at its beginning, and then double click selecting everything in the first line to its newline. You'll also select the tabs in the second line, which isn't the desired behavior.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Is not reproduced.

Post by qoshinator »

You are right. I was confused by the behavior of another bug: double-click selecting skips characters after the initially selected word. As an example, set WordBreak to 1+2+4+8+256=271 and type "aaa aaa\n\taaa", with \n and \t replaced by the newline and tab characters respectively. Double-click select the second aaa, and move your mouse to the right past the newline. The newline is not selected, although it should be. If you instead double-click select the first aaa, then moving your mouse past the newline will select the newline as expected.

The original problem still exists because WordBreak=256 only fixes the case of the newline character. If one types "(!@#$%^&*-=+/)))", then with double-click select the entire group of symbols must be selected at once. However, there are several good symbols for stopping: ! = . ) to name a few. If there is a big block of )))) then it is unlikely that the user wants to select all of them, even when using double-click select.

Another thing I noticed: in the first example, if you double click on the first half of the tab, the newline character is selected instead of the tab character. This seems to be an odd characteristic of the tab character.

What software are you using to create those animations? It would be very useful to me in bug reporting.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator wrote:As an example...
...if you double click on the first half of the tab, the newline character is selected instead of the tab character.
Test version
...However, there are several good symbols for stopping: ! = . )...
To stop on them - remove those symbols (or other @#$%...) from delimiters in settings.
What software are you using to create those animations?
UVScreenCamera

Post by qoshinator »

Test version
This build only fixes a specific symptom and introduces other problems. Double clicking past the end of a line now causes problems, and double clicking the first half of the tab in "aa\taa" has odd behavior.
To stop on them - remove those symbols (or other @#$%...) from delimiters in settings.
This behavior is still not the desired one. If you type ")))))))" I believe there is no way to stop between parentheses.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator wrote:... double clicking the first half of the tab in "aa\taa" has odd behavior.
Test version

Post by qoshinator »

Instructor wrote:
qoshinator wrote:... double clicking the first half of the tab in "aa\taa" has odd behavior.
Test version
Odd behavior still exists. To clarify: the odd behavior is that the first "aa" is selected rather than the tab that is double-clicked on.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator
This is how it works in 4.7.4, but I make some changes: Test version

Post by qoshinator »

Instructor wrote:qoshinator
This is how it works in 4.7.4, but I make some changes: Test version
Double clicking past the end of the line now crashes the program.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator
Scrupulous testing :)

Test version

Post by qoshinator »

Scrupulous testing :)

Test version
Double clicking past the end of the line sometimes selects the newline and sometimes it doesn't. When I record using UVScreenCamera this behavior goes away and the newline is always selected. The correct behavior is to always select the newline.

Some other bugs: Type "aa\taa\taa". Double click the first "aa", holding down the mouse button after the second click, and drag your mouse slowly to the right.
1. You can't select only "aa\t", even if WordBreak is 271.
2. When your mouse passes the middle of the second tab, the last "aa" is selected.

Sorry for no gif, I tried uvScreenCamera and it is not good enough for me to pay $50.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator
Test version

Post by qoshinator »

Test version
Type "aa\tbb", double click on "aa" and then drag the mouse to the right, past the middle of the tab but before you reach "bb". "bb" will be selected, although it shouldn't be.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

qoshinator
Test version

Post by qoshinator »

Test version
You've fixed all the bugs you've tried to fix.