AkelPad Forum Index AkelPad
Support forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace Notepad using "Image File Execution Option"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drkh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Replace Notepad using "Image File Execution Option" Reply with quote

Hello,

I didn't use AkelPad's installer to replace Notepad. I used the following method (on Win7 x64):

Under the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

I created a sub-key: "notepad.exe".

Inside that new sub-key, I created a string value:"Debugger". The data of this value points to AkelPad.exe.

Now, every time when Notepad is intended to run, it's AkelPad which is executed instead. Great! I successfully repalced Notepad with AkelPad.

But there is a problem.

When AkelPad is executed in place of Notepad, AkelPad will think that the executable file of Notepad itself is a file to be opened. So, the following message appears:

"C:\Windows\Notepad.exe" is a binary file. Continue?

How can I solve this problem?
drkh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to find the solution.

The solution is to add the /z parameter to the command line, with the purpose being to "ignore next command line parameter", as stated in AnkelPad's help file "AkelHelp-Eng.htm".

But it takes me a while to realize that when AnkelPad starts to run in place of Notepad, the Notepad executable becomes "the next command line parameter".
Instructor
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AkelPad 4.6.1 release wrote:
Added: command line option /Z to ignore the next command line parameter. Can be used for alternative way to replace MS Notepad.

There are also two batch files posted on Russian FAQ.
lextm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructor wrote:
AkelPad 4.6.1 release wrote:
Added: command line option /Z to ignore the next command line parameter. Can be used for alternative way to replace MS Notepad.

There are also two batch files posted on Russian FAQ.

Hi, I am wondering if this can be made as the default way to "replace Notepad". On Windows Vista/7/8, it is no longer possible to replace C:\Windows\Notepad.exe, so this alternative is a must. You should revise the installer as soon as possible, as more and more people start to upgrade.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AkelPad Forum Index -> Discussion (English) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: