Great Editor!

English main discussion
  • Author

Great Editor!

Post by dosware »

AkelPad is an exceptional editor....Spasibo!

Rich Green

An informal investigation of search and replace speed using freeware text editors...

Test parameters:

Test File: plain text
Size: 70.5 MB
Total Lines: 1.3 million
Longest line: 984

Command: replace text "the" with "thee" (simple replace, no regex).

No options invoked (no word wrap, highlght, etc.)

Test System:
Windows XP SP2, 1 GB RAM, Pentium 3.4 GHZ

RESULTS:

180,040 replacements completed

AkelPad.......35 sec...one-step undo: 7 sec.
PitPad........40 sec...can undo *individual* replaces only.
Editpad Lite..65 sec...one-step undo: 65 sec.
PSPad.........18 min...undo not available at completion.

------------------
Other editors with replacement times exceeding 20 minutes
(not measured):

Notepad++,
Notepad Lite
Metapad
Context
JEDIT
PFE

These times obviously will vary depending on system configuration and options used.

Summary:

Akelpad appears to have the fastest simple "replace text" AND undo replace times I've encountered among popular freeware text editors. Even more remarkable is the Undo time of 7 seconds. AkelPad is quickly evolving into a superb multi-purpose editor.

http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php

A close second for replacement times is the relatively unknown PitPad. Unfortunately, PitPad's English menu translation is less than perfect, and it's development appears to be ended or dormant. In addition, it can only undo individual replacements one at a time. It does have regular expression support (not tested).

http://www.szczepanik.org/en/Software/Pitpad/index.html

EditPad Lite loads large files very fast (sub 1 sec vs. a relatively fast 4 sec for AkelPad and PitPad). But text replacement time is 65 sec. Like Akelpad, EditPad Lite can undo all replacements in one step- but the time required to undo all replacements equals the initial replacement time (65 sec).

http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

I had little patience to wait for the much more sluggish Notepad++, PSPAD, NoteTab Light, Metapad, Context, JEDIT, and PFE. Some of these editors possess more advanced replace options but are slow on big files.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

There is also UltraEdit with good speed replacement characteristics.

P.S.
Forgot - not freeware.

Post by dosware »

Instructor wrote:There is also UltraEdit with good speed replacement characteristics.
Yes- but UltraEdit is not freeware.

AkelPad is a clean, fast, and small editor. The Plug-In concept is great and allows customization. Unfortunately AkelPad is not yet popular with English users- but it is a very intelligently designed editor and I predict it will become a popular editor among both programmers and non-programmers.

yes AkelPad is the fastest!

Post by theshu »

But when i was testing AkelPad2 vs. AkelPad 3 I have to say that AkelPad2 is faster in opening large files and replacing strings!
Is there a way to speed up AkelPad3? Or is there any workaround?
Best regards, theshu

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

theshu
Do you send me an e-mail from ...? There was the same question and I answer on it.
TF> Why AkelPad 3.x is much bigger than 2.x.
AkelPad 3.x fully support unicode and can run on any Windows. Other
overwhelming majority developers uses two compiled versions of they
products: with unicode and without unicode. So, if you compile AkelPad
3.x to force support only ANSI you will get ~110 Kb. AkelPad 2.x doesn't
support unicode and it is linked to msvcrt.dll (to decrease exe size), that
by default doesn't exist on Windows 95.

TF> But that is not the main reason why i switched to the 2.x branch:
TF> Akelpad 2.x can view files much faster than 3.x... text and binary.
TF> Do you know the reason for this? When i open a log file about 100MB
TF> AkelPad 2 opens it in a few seconds and AkelPad 3 needs very long, also
TF> scrolling in the file takes longer.

What version of AkelPad 3.x do you use (current is 3.3.0)? Is URL highlighting on?
Is word wrap on? Is any plugins such as PlainText on?
File openning is optimizied by speed (as fast as RichEdit can open).
Last edited by Instructor on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by theshu »

Hello Admin!
Yes I've send you the E-Mail, but not received any answer so I thought I can post my question here. (Please can you delete my E-Mail-Adress in your post? Don't want everyone to see it.. Thank You)
My settings for AkelPad 3 are speed optimized:
I'm using the newest version 3.3.0, wordwrap off, no plugins, no highlighting.
I've also tested different settings but these seem to be the fastest.
AkelPad 3 is anyhow slower than AkelPad 2. Have you tested it on your own machine? I'm sure you will see the same results.
For testing, a binary file with 150MB size is also good...
Here are my testing results:
383MB RAM and 11.8s for opening a 150MB File with AP3
385MB RAM and 6.5s for opening a 150MB File with AP2

I DONT want to critizise AkelPad 3!! I only want to find a reason for the differences in speed.
So I hope you will find a solution, and thank you for this awesome editor! :P

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

theshu
AkelPad 3 always work with unicode text, so if file isn't in unicode format editor firstly convert text in memory to unicode and then open. AkelPad 2 opens file without convertion to unicode, if file is in default ANSI code page.
Probably for binary files you need hex editor (I use Hex Workshop).

Post by theshu »

Ok I understand :)
So wouldn't it make sence to include an Option (3 Checkboxes or something) like "Always handle Text as unicode" and "Force ANSI" and "Automatic detection (like AkelPad 2)"? for faster opening?
Yes of course I'm using a Hex editor too...
But maybe you can see this as a feature request!? Personally, sometimes I need the unicode ability but mostly not. It would be great to have such an option. I want to use AkelPad 3 instead of AP 2 because it has more useful features.
Im a Sysadmin and need AP3 for viewing/editing large logfiles and some other things. AP3 is my favorite tool for these tasks.
Have a nice day! theshu

Open file without convertion to unicode if it's in ANSI

Post by AkelFan »

Hey there! It would be great if there can be an Option where you can tell AkelPad to open ANSI Files (or all NON-UNICODE Files) to open not as unicode.
It seems that AkelPad always load everything as unicode am I right?
This would be great because normal ANSI files will open faster, also editing these Files should be faster.
Also it makes no sense to convert it to unicode when I later save it to ANSI.
I would be happy to hear your opinion! Have a nice day!

Post by theshu »

Hello AkelFan,
I had already a similiar discussion with Instructor about this topic. If you really need to open Files faster you can use AkelPad 2 or a HexEditor. But I think AkelPad 3 is doing a pretty well job! Also in the speed thematic!

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

theshu & AkelFan
viewtopic.php?p=1884#p1884

There is no big difference in speed of load file between AkelPad 2.x and 3.x. Probably you are using wrap words and caret located at the start of a file as a result of this AkelPad 2.x "loads" this file faster, but actually it load only some part of text and other part is loaded in background. You can make sure in this by setting the caret at the end of a file. AkelPad 3.x do it this the same way, but not when word wrap mode is used. If word wrap mode is on then Akelpad 3.x calculates window rectangle first, and then opens.

Post by Xarlina »

I often use NotPad++ and I really have a big delay when loading a big file.
I`m an SEO and often work with big semantic data.
Thnx a lot for your comparison
Summary:

Akelpad appears to have the fastest simple "replace text" AND undo replace times I've encountered among popular freeware text editors. Even more remarkable is the Undo time of 7 seconds. AkelPad is quickly evolving into a superb multi-purpose editor.

http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/en/index.php

A close second for replacement times is the relatively unknown PitPad. Unfortunately, PitPad's English menu translation is less than perfect, and it's development appears to be ended or dormant. In addition, it can only undo individual replacements one at a time. It does have regular expression support (not tested).

http://www.szczepanik.org/en/Software/Pitpad/index.html

EditPad Lite loads large files very fast (sub 1 sec vs. a relatively fast 4 sec for AkelPad and PitPad). But text replacement time is 65 sec. Like Akelpad, EditPad Lite can undo all replacements in one step- but the time required to undo all replacements equals the initial replacement time (65 sec).

http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

I had little patience to wait for the much more sluggish Notepad++, PSPAD, NoteTab Light, Metapad, Context, JEDIT, and PFE. Some of these editors possess more advanced replace options but are slow on big files.