• Author

New Plugins Manual available!

Post by Surveyor »

▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
8) DOCUMENTATION Links 8)

▓ Documents now being posted (officially) at:
http://akelpad.sourceforge.net/files/docs/

▓ and unofficially (newest and pre-release versions!) at:
http://members.shaw.ca/atbcls/akelpad/ (new link)

▓ Plugins Manual v10.02.22 now available - 34 of 41 plugins documented
▓ - released February 22, 2010
▓ This is a work in progress (but getting closer...!).
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

- Surveyor
Last edited by Surveyor on Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:35 am, edited 17 times in total.

Site Admin

Post by Instructor »

Cool! I'm starting to read.

Post by Fr0sT »

You're great, man! ))
But please make the main font resizable.

Text resizing

Post by Surveyor »

Fr0sT,

I appreciate your request! This is "do-able", but there are issues with Cascading Style sheets used in the documentation - it would be necessary to edit a bunch of pages. Plus, if done, then spacing, etc. is an issue in some cases.

Anyone out there else have a problem with typesize? If this is a problem with other users, I will change it.

- Surveyor

Post by Fr0sT »

Hmmm... /me looked at the sources... yep, you used spans for the text blocks, so it's not so easy to change. I thought you linked all styles to CSS... But - there is possible, just take program for mass replace and replace "font-size=10px" with "font-size=100%". Of course, if you use some WYSIWYG html editor, it will be rather difficult...

Change text size

Post by Surveyor »

Fr0sT,

Have been thinking about this issue....

Most font sizes are linked to an embedded style sheet, but a few are in the actual pages. I don't like SPAN tags, but that f$%^ing FrontPage editor seems to prefer to put them in, no matter what option I try to eliminate that behaviour. I have a good text editor that will make any changes for me globally, but the issue seems to be with Internet Explorer. All CHM files are "rendered" by IE, and changes to it (View/Text Size menu) are reflected by any CHM file opened after the change. This is not a huge problem - I can put an icon in the CHM toolbar to "cycle" through the 5 different sizes (smallest .. largest).

The problem I have been thinking about is
"How do I reset the text size to normal on opening the CHM?"
or is it even necessary. IE keeps this information (current viewing text size) in the registry - it is not reset automatically. I know that I can use JavaScript in a page somewhere to do this, perhaps on first opening the CHM. But then, this will affect IE (for users of IE - I use Firefox) on the next opening.

I continue to think and experiment - perhaps in the next release you will see this feature.

- Surveyor

Post by Fr0sT »

I don't like SPAN tags, but that f$%^ing FrontPage editor seems to prefer to put them in, no matter what option I try to eliminate that behaviour.
Yeah, visual html editors usually do this sort of things, as it's much simpler than managing styles. But I won't speak about every editor, maybe some of them can work with css styles, as Word does with his own font styles.
But of course, to have a full control over the page source, you should use text editor ))
"How do I reset the text size to normal on opening the CHM?"
I can't understand what the problem is... if a user prefers big font, so let it be big )). Anyway, one can always easily change its size by Ctrl+mouse scroll.

I wouldn't abuse you with this stuff if I had perfect eyes, but I haven't it :( so scaling the text is important for me.

Try this!

Post by Surveyor »

Fr0sT,
if I had perfect eyes, but I haven't it :( so scaling the text is important for me
My eyes are ok, but my brain needs a little help...

I have modified the Plugins Manual. I appreciate you pointing this out to me - I hadn't really thought about this issue. I haven't notified Insructor - this is a bit of a test - so he hasn't posted it "officially". I haven't added any new topics, but the font resizing works. You can get it at my unofficial site:
http://members.shaw.ca/atbcls/akelpad/

Let me know if this is OK for you or any other comments. Internet Explorer (all CHM files use that as the rendering engine) has only 5 different sizes available; I have used Medium (3rd of 5) as the "base" - it shows up as 10pt text, but there are 2 more larger sizes (and 2 smaller). I can make it 1 smaller and 4 larger (easy fix), but then tables and layout get really ugly looking on the largest size.

The "<ctrl> mouse scrolling" to change size also works in the CHM, but you have to click on the right pane first to make sure it gets the focus.

Interesting to note: Windows XP (my system) help files do NOT have the font resizing button, but you CAN resize text by opening Internet Explorer and using the View/Text Size menu, or by using the mouse. The next time you open a CHM, it should be bigger/smaller accordingly. This behaviour is not in the Windows Help and Support (I think...).

The User Manual should hopefully be the same on the next revision. (Done! Jan 27/09)

- Surveyor
Last edited by Surveyor on Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Fr0sT »

Surveyor, oh, great thanks, buddy! Now it looks pretty fine )) 10px as Medium is a popular assignment, so here you are absolutely right!
Windows XP (my system) help files do NOT have the font resizing button, but you CAN resize text
Yes, this method also works, but Ctrl+scroll rules )). Thanks again for implementing my request!

Scripts now documented

Post by Surveyor »

Attention!

Plugins manual has been increased by 25% with the new addition of documentation for the Scripts plugin. This section is aimed at the new Scripts user, but there is something there for experts too.

Check it out!

Post by Surveyor »

Attention!

Latest Plugins Manual (v0.6) now posted to my site (see links at top of this thread). HighLight plugin has now been documented - 2 useful tools are included for selecting colors and setting Quotes flags.

KDJ

Post by KDJ »

Hi Surveyor. Can you do such an elegant documentation for new plug-ins?

Post by Surveyor »

To all,

Yes, I known that the plugins manual is out of date; when many plugins were combined to create "new" plugins (eg. Coder, Format), I was a bit overwhelmed at the changes necessary to the documentation. There are also some new plugins (eg. Spellcheck, Templates) which I have not looked at. I hope to get back to the Plugins Manual - it needs a complete overhaul - but am more concerned at keeping the User Manual current (4.5.0, 4.5.1 changes to be included in the near future). Plugins change at a far more rapid rate than AkelPad proper; it is difficult to keep up!